Boiler service

My friend purchased a place that has a Slant Fin LP boiler with multiple zones. He's unfamiliar with any service schedule and would appreciate your advice.

How often should the burners be inspected? How oftern should the water be changed? Should water additives be put into the boiler?

Thanks.

Reply to
Mark and Gloria Hagwood

You can find the manuals here:

Gas? By LP do you mean Liquid Propane (gas) or Low Pressure (steam boiler of various fuels)? Low pressure boilers operate at less than 15 psi, and for residential, usually less than 5 psi. Gas burns cleaner and needs much less maintenance. Oil needs cleaning about every 1000 gallons or so.

I've never changed water in a hydronic system, but blow down steam systems every day. Fresh water has more oxygen. Additives are generally not needed in cast iron boilers, but in some areas it may help if the water is extremely corrosive.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thank you for the information. By LP, I was referring to Liquified Petroleum gas, as opposed to natural gas or oil as the heat source.

My friend looked at the burners and they appeared to be clean and the flames were consistent and bluish in color. There seems to be nothing wrong with this 5 year old boiler, but he was wondering about the preventative maintenance aspect. The Hot Surface Igniter was replaced last fall as a preventative measure.

Mark

Reply to
Mark and Gloria Hagwood