Boiler shuts down

I have a Dunham Bush oil fired hot water boiler with forced blown air circulation. It is shutting down every 10 minutes. I reset the Honeywell device that is connected to the stack sensor and the electic eye. It fires up right away and kicks off within 10-15 minutes. So far I cleaned the eye, no change. I also noticed soot particles on the top of the boiler casing near the stack. I checked the stack, it is clean but I think it is hotter than usual when the boiler is firing. I was thinking that I probably need to change the oil nozzle. I was told once that it must be replaced and could not be cleaned. Can it be cleaned? I need heat to get me through the night because I can't get parts where I live at this hour. Anyone know how I can keep it running through the night safely. Also, does anyone have any suggestions to what else the problem could be if not just the oil nozzle and what other maintenance I could perform?

Thanks, Ron

Reply to
MRnice

just throwing random maintenance at it is not the way to do things. You need to trouble shoot the system and find out what and why this is happening. No offense but you seem to be in over your head, call your oil company and have them come fix it. When the service guy arrives, see if he wouldnt mind if you follow along and ask him to explain what he is doing. Once its fixed and you understand what broke and how he figured it out, you'll have a better understanding of the system. Finally, it might be good to get a book or 2 about oil burners and especially boilers. Warning: You screw up in the right way on a boiler and you can kill yourself and everyone close by. I dont think you want that to save a couple bucks do you? Eric

Reply to
Eric

Eric, Wrong Wrong Way Wrong. The OP has NO business messing with that oil burner. He has no clue whatsoever. He obviously has no training and doesnt have the first clue to a properly running oil burner. The big key is testing equipment. After you shell out almost $1000 for decent digital testing equipment, you will then be one step on your way. Now you have to know how to use the equipment.........PROPERLY and INTERPRET what it tells you. Then, know what to repair properly . This is not for the faint at heart.. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Hi Bubba. This has nothing to do with saving money. My oil company does not have 24 hour service and the only one in the area that does has not called me back since I left 2 messages so far. Despite what you think, I do have a good general knowledge about boilers. Since tubes do not need to be cleaned due to this is a hot water boiler, the problems must be related to one of the following: oil nozzle being dirty, dirt in the supply line, a dirty filter, a bad stack switch, poor air intake, or a faulty flame sensor (eye). About two years ago I had a problem like this. I called my oil service (it was during operating hours) and he first broke the elctrode when he was trying to remove the oil nozzle from its assembly. He changed the nozzle and then broke the supply tubing when reinstalling. After he installed a new line he bled the air from the line and the boiler worked fine since.

I just finished removing the oil nozzle and cleaned it ( I cant get parts as the supply houses close early, about 5p,). I changed the filter (I had a spare on hand) and bled the line at the pump. The boiler has been running for about an hour and a half with no problem.

I have seen many people give assistance to others who had no idea of what they were doing. Here, no real advice was given, only comments stating I did not want to pay a service to repair. I will still call them tomorrow during the day for them to come and check everything out and replace the nozzle. I am not an expert, but I do have a clear understanding of how this system works. I have worked on gas fired systems and HRT commercial boilers years ago. I admit that I still have things to learn about oil fired redidential burners and this is an old system without auotmatic draft louvers and sensors, etc.

Again, thank you for your help and concern.

Reply to
MRnice

There are certain instruments needed to properly tune the boiler after a nozzle change. without these you should not try to change the nozzle as it could cause improper combustion. the boiler may also need cleaning. it would be best to call a local pro to do this for you.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
Reply to
hvactech2

Reply to
Bubba