filling hole in plasterboard ??

A piece of ply (or similar), wider than the hole, with dabs of no more nails on each end, slotted through the hole, pulled tight to the back of the plasterboard and left to dry should do it.

To pull it tight, knock a small nail into the center of the ply and pull the head of the nail towards you with your fingers - or maybe tie some string round the head of the nail and pull tight (you may be able to tie the other end off around a fixed point opposite the hole to keep it tight for a while).

If you can make sure that the nail head does not jut out in front of the wall you can just plaster over it, otherwise you can probably just pull it out after plastering and smooth over the remaining nail hole.

RM

Reply to
Reestit Mutton

All, I have a hole in a plasterboard wall about the size of a 20p piece. Its fairly neat - originally drilled for passing cable through. It's no longer needed - so ho wdo I fill it and cover it over ?? Can I cover some newspaper in polyfilla and pack it, then use more over the top and repaint ?? Any other suggestions??

Reply to
Neil Catley

If you're not sure that it will work for the depth you are filling, just try layering it in 2 or 3 applications, allowing it to dry inbetween times.

What's the worst that can happen?

RM

Reply to
Reestit Mutton

Paint the area around the hole with PVA glue and water mixture (1:1 mix), let it go tacky for a couple of hours, then fill it with stiff mix of polyfiller or plaster. Make sure the filler is stiff enough to just be able to work with it. Smear it around the edges of the hole first to let it get a grip, then fill it fully and smooth it off.

Reply to
BigWallop

Just Polyfilla would be fine. Do it in two passes and then sand. Make it fairly thick on the first pass, and slightly below the finished surface. Second pass should be wetter and up to the surface. If it is in a concealed location, just do it in one pass.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

yes, thats what I do. Stuff newspaper and then use binding plaster or ployfilla - but plaster is better, then skim sand and paint.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Right enough - didn't really think about the size of hole the OP was talking about.

Sounds like a grand idea.

RM

Reply to
Reestit Mutton

That indeed is the standard method for filling bigger holes but for a 20p sized hole ?? Probably get away with stiff Polyfilla for initial fill but I'd use filler foam, but then I use it everywhere :-)

Reply to
BillR