Angry son = fist size hole in plasterboard !

He covered it up with a poster so I've only just found it !!

I can cut the hole back but what do I fix the patch in with ?

Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham

Rob,

The method I use is to slip a couple of pieces of 2"x1" ( showing my age now) behind the plasterboard and about 8" longer than I need and then screw these from the face using galvanised or brass countersunk screws.

Cut a patch the the size of the hole using the same thickness plasterboard and then screw this to the battens, make good with polyfilla and then decorate.

Or, you can use an inert material like expanding foam/newspaper in the hole and use that as a backing and finish filling the hole with bonding plaster and a finishing coat - and once dry, decorate.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

In message , Rob Graham wrote

Human blood :)

Reply to
Alan

His head ...lol Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

Sigh......

Teenagers - what would we do without them. Make the most of it because they will never know so much again.

It does get better - honestly. When they're about 30. :-)

The fix for the wall isn't too bad.

Clean up any ragged edges and cut back to sound plasterboard.

Take a suitable number of pieces of batten to act as supports from behind, offer through hole and fix in place with screws countersunk into the plasterboard plus some glue.

Cut a replacement piece of plasterboard to fit the hole as best as you can and glue and screw this to the battens.

When set, fill any gaps with a fine filler leaving it slightly proud.

Sand the surface smooth (filling again if needed) and repaint the wall.

Suggest to the little sod that it might be nice if he bought his mother some flowers.

This should achieve harmony (well for 10 minutes anyway) ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Cut the hole back with a steeply beveled edge facing the room. Cut a new piece of plasterboard to go in it with a matching beveled edge, but make it a bit too small, so that it almost falls right through, i.e. so it is recessed when pressed into place. Paint the edges with dilute PVA if you have any, otherwise slightly dampen them. Then mix up some bonding coat plaster, apply to the edges, and push the piece in place, initially slightly proud of the adjacent wall. Use a ruler or other thin straight edge which is longer than the hole, place it across the front, and use it to tap the repair piece back into place, perfectly level with the face of the rest of the plasterboard. If you intend to skim the patch, push it back a further couple of millimetres. Let the bonding coat go off a bit so the patch piece is not going to move, and then use a scraper to remove any of the bonding coat plaster which is proud of the wall, indeed take it back just behind the wall surface. If you are going to skim the patch, wait a couple of hours for the bonding coat to set first. Otherwise, wait for the bonding coat and plasterboard to dry completely, and pollyfilla the join.

BTW, how about getting him to fix it?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I expect that he just wants to fix the one hole :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Stuff newspaper or rockwool in the hole

Cut a bit of plsaterboard that is the same size as the trimmed up hole and press it in slightly below teh surface.

Skim with plaster.

Sand with orbital

Paint.

Done it hundred times...for holes left where I had to move sockets up to regulation height so that cripples can reach em and old ladies trip over the cables now emerging just below knee height.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

For a couple of similar size holes in the ceiling of my garage, I cut some pieces of expanded metal mesh over size and glued them inside the hole using no nails and then plastered over.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

Cut a piece of plasterboard that is bigger than the hole in one direction and sligntly narrower in the other direction. Ensure that it will fit through the hole in the wall.

Screw a woodscrew into the centre, only a couple of turns, to act as a "handle".

Secure to the back of the hole using gripfill. Use the screw to hold the platerboard until it has adhered. You could use plaster but it'll take longer to set.

Once dry, remove the woodscrew "handle", stick a suitably sized piece of platerboard in the hole using gripfill (Or plaster). Once dry make good with plaster.

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

He's obviously seen The Shawshank Redemption.

Reply to
Mark Carver

How do you know it's a teenager? It might be a seven-year-old :-)

And his dad a tub of tetrion and a bottle of single malt

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I would do what others have suggested (and have done so myself plenty of times, but FWIW I saw this new repair 'system' in B&Q the other day:

Lobster

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Or 40.

Your wife's easily bought off!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

For Mum to share.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Thanks guys Excellent range of repair options - probably go with a couple of battens of wood.. Thanks also for not taking the p£$s too much. I 'll take the recommendation that he should do it - he's also had to learn how to replace a window pane !

Many thanks

Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham

He'll get his own back in years to come when he's pushing you arround in a bath chair

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

When we moved into our house 10 years ago, we found some strange raised flat patches on one of the bedroom walls. I later discovered that a friend (proprietor of a local menswear shop!) used to own the house and had rented out the top floor. He said that one of the tenants was a rather volatil young man and his girlfriend, and loud arguments were common. They also covered the walls with pictures, from top to bottom.

When they moved out... you can guess the rest. We are due to fix those walls (finally) in the next few weeks.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Sister-in-law once threw a brass candle stick at her spouse which luckily enough missed but left a fine hole in the skin of a panelled door

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann