Subject Author Posted Replies

Re: Repositioning heating programmer 8 metres...
Jimk wrote in news: Can't you go wireless and be more "future proof"
14
14

Capping a brick garden wall
Son-in-law has heeded my suggestion to have their garden wall capped as some of the bricks are spalling due to rain and frost. The wall is the width of a brick length. There is no tile type of thing...
6
6

Well the labour leader:
Has at last said something with which I wholeheartedly agree. that is the flooding up North had been down South there would thrown money and loads of publicity at it before now!
46
46

Condensation problem in bathroom vent fan tube
Condensation is forming inside the 100mm pipe above the bathroom vent fan which passes through the cold loft (about 10 feet) to a grill at the apex; the water then drips down through the fan when its...
7
7

Installing an SSD to suppliment an HDD
One of my computers only has 150GB HDD, and I am trying to increase that capacity by installing an SSD that I have which is spare ATM. The computer is a Dell Optiplex 780. This has a PCI Express 16...
33
33

Things they don't tell you about hole saw arbors #23
Having bought a hole saw and arbor from Screwfix and put them together in what I think is the correct configuration I was frustrated by the fact that the pilot drill was barely longer than the depth...
11
11

WR1 wireless thermostat upgrade
I have a WR1 wireless thermostat, it's fine but doesn't control the timing. The central heating has a programmable timer, it's fine but doesn't control the temperature. These are in different places....
6
6

Using external wall cavity to carry 2.5mm T&E cable
Hi I think the subject explains most of what I'm looking to do. I need to add a double socket and the best place for the cable is the wall cavity. The socket is on an exernal wall on the ground floor...
4
4

LED spotlight bulbs
Hi All I am looking to replace all my MR16 bulbs with LED ones. Anyone know a cheap place to buy them online? Thanks Lee.
27
27

Unusual RCD tripping by tumble drier
Last year we had a problem with our 5-year old Beko tripping the RCD when it was turned on (NB it had been modified during a recall shortly after we bought it). It only did it on that one day and has...
16
16

Creda tumble dryer
Hi, I was just given a Creda Excel mini dryer. It has no hose fitting and no condenser tray, is this normal, is the water just coming out as moisture? Many thanks
13
13

Gas boiler servicing is not diy
Working on gas boilers and gas appliances is not DIY... Taking off the case to an appliance means you have to undertake statutory checks to ensure the appliance works correctly and safely. I have been...
31
31

Picking a desk lock
I bought a two drawer wooden filing cabinet (well, one filing drawer and one shallow drawer) on Gumtree. No key, but checked it out and all looked good. Now we have lugged it up to the office it won't...
21
21

Solar powered PIR triggered light
I want a light for the area at the side of the house where my bins are kept. It is so dark I sometimes can't tell the colour of the bins. Mains is not convenient so I am wondering if there are any...
12
12

Strange lighting wiring
Hi All, I have some 12v spotlights in my bathroom. I needed to move one so disconnected it some time ago and have eventually cut the new hole today. Having now forgotten which way it was wired I...
19
19