Re: Repositioning heating programmer 8 metres...

Just tried a hive (140 quid), wouldn't communicate through my walls reliably enough to be worthy of being called wireless, so I thought F it, old skule.... & save 120 quid...

Reply to
Jimk

Is that the real ARW? ;-)

Reply to
Jimk

Gotta link?

Reply to
Jimk

Jimk snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

The programmer on my heating etc is in an inconvenient location & > I want to move it. > > The preferred location would involve an approx 8m cable run. I > have some 5 core 0.75mm2 flex. > > Can I just stick it on the end of the 5core flex, i.e. extending > the current wiring? > Any electrical or other gotchas to be wary of? > > TIA

Can't you go wireless and be more "future proof"

Reply to
John

There is nothing future proof about wireless.

Go with your plan.

Reply to
ARW

I'd think that renewing the whole run was the safest bet, rather than joining it, but yes, maybe go wireless, but I do have some reservations about those from houses I've visited where they only work in some places or stop working for no apparent reason. Bit of a black art radio in this world of interference and congested bands. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Perhaps he's thinking if we all have wireless power too, he'll be out of a job!

Reply to
Fredxx

Not being an electrician but I would extend the wiring and give it a go if it doesnt work then just unextend it back to the original.

Reply to
ss

What sort of old gear are you re-locating?

Reply to
John

Someone has to wire up the receiver.

Reply to
ARW

Old stuff that works would be my best guess.

All this programmable mobile phone operated stuff is bollocks.

In the good old days you threw more coal on the fire and drew in air if you were cold.

ARW

And to get the full 'benefit' I believe you have to sign up to a BG package that costs a tenner month or thereabouts.

Reply to
Andrew

By "Wireless" I certainly wasn't suggesting Hive or any other Internet based option - just a basic programmable room thermostat which overcomes the need for a timer.

If a timer is needed for DHW then (firstly why?) surely it could be co- located with the boiler as surely it doesn't need to be convenient.

Reply to
John

Just passing on what my neighbour told me when he had BG fit a new WB Junior boiler with a wireless stat. Something to do with being able to program it with a mobile phone from anywwhere in the world, should anyone really need to do so.

Reply to
Andrew

My Wireless has "Holiday Mode" - tell it how long the house will be empty and what min temp you want. Vast choice of thermostats available. .

Reply to
John