Subject Author Posted Replies

I Have Completed a Job!
Not the electrical mystery (awaiting an endoscope) but having spent several weeks changing where I keep the "ToDo" list, what format it should be in, what the priorities are and what font looks best I...
12
12

Web controlled relay for internet router.
Can anyone suggest a web controlled relay which will switch something off when asked and then switch it on again automatically a few seconds later. i.e. suitable for restarting and internet router...
22
22

OT:Ooops!
My personal i3 4Gb HP laptop running Mint has been running like a dog these past few weeks. I tend to NX into it from my work machine for the less worky things I get up to, so don't use it daily....
12
12

Suggestions for mounting bike stand on (maybe thin) concrete surface
Hi all I want to fit a bike stand (a 'sheffield cycle rack') to a bit of concrete hard standing we have. I want it to be a sturdy fastening. The flanges on the bottom of the rack have four holes to...
13
13

USB puzzling me
I have made a little robot car, controlled by a Rpi. The Rpi runs off a USB battery pack. The power for the motors comes from a separate pack with 4 AA batteries in it. I thought the motors might run...
11
11

How to backup Android phone over wifi?
I need to send my Android phone to be repaired (an insurance job, hence not DIY) so first will need to back-up, wipe and return it to factory defaults. Unfortunately this is tricky because the USB...
17
17

Urgent(ish): SSE vs OVO vs Utilita vs Energy Billing
Hi, I have time until next Monday to move to a new flat (1 bed council flat, quite nice). My existing flat has SSE (now OVO) PAYG smart meters for both gas and electricity. My new flat has Utilita...
9
9

One for the EV sceptics
Not the first cargo ship to be set ablaze by an EV ... potentially 3,000 cars could end up in Davy Jones Locker. One person died as fire took hold of the ship as it burned off the Dutch island of...
48
48

Lifting Chiboard Flooring
In my quest to find the problem with my lighting I am going to have to lift some flooring upstairs. I can get to it and lift the carpet/underlay OK. It is nailed Chipboard and I really do not want to...
39
39

How to secure an outside tap
Hi All, A few years ago we had some alterations by “Bodge-it & Scarper”… One of the things they did was to fit an outside tap (and then box in internal pipework and tile over the boxing in, so I...
5
5

Repurposing Lithium Ion 18650
I have a 5Ah power pack from a ferrex drill/impactdriver/anglegrinder that failed after very few charges but about 15 months old. The charger refused to charge it. One of the 18650 cells is dud but...
9
9

Recalcitrant jar lids
Faced yet again with a jar of pickled gherkins whose lid would not come off, and the friend who opened them last time for me not due to visit for weeks, I bunged the lot into the bottom oven of the...
35
35

Torch battery terminal corrosion - vinegar or baking soda?
I have a bike light which has intermittent contact which seems to be due to mild corrosion on one terminal. An on line search suggests (some sites) vinegar or (other sites) baking soda. I am a bit...
7
7

Monitor question
I am looking at buying a new monitor. The one I like is 75Hz but as far as I can see my graphics adapter only runs at 60Hz (Intel UHD Graphics 730). Can I assume any monitor will run at 60Hz? Am I...
23
23

Series Drill
Walking down my street this morning I passed a Telephone "Engineer" drilling a hole for a cable through a stone wall. So far so good. He was just starting the hole and was using a series drill which I...
11
11