Urgent(ish): SSE vs OVO vs Utilita vs Energy Billing

Hi, I have time until next Monday to move to a new flat (1 bed council flat, quite nice). My existing flat has SSE (now OVO) PAYG smart meters for both gas and electricity. My new flat has Utilita (contract) for electrics and EnergyBilling (PAYG) for Gas.

I wasn't extremely happy with SSE but I am not sure if these providers are better. I have limited time. What would be your gut instinct between these providers?

SF

Reply to
Simon Ferrol

The first thing to do is to check the prices of the new providers, they should be price cap rates but the Utilita contract may be different.

Service wise, I have no experience of either Utilita or Energy Billing but if you start with the premise that all suppliers are equally poor you can only not be disappointed.

Changing suppliers is not something to be entered into lightly these days unless there are compelling reasons for doing so, e.g high price, especially when moving into a new property, there are enough things to go wrong on COT without adding another layer of complexity.

Good luck with the move!

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

First of all, check if your rental agreement even allows you to change supplier, if not you'd be wasting time ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Unless utilities are included in the rent, it's the law that tenants are able to change energy suppliers. (an OFT ruling from 2004)

However there's no urgency to make a decision now: a rental will typically come in a default tariff, and you are free to change it later. So you can move in and then make a decision later - you'll only pay the old supplier for a few days on their tariff.

However I'm not sure why the OP reckons they only have two suppliers to choose from, since they should be able to go with any energy supplier.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

OK thanks, I've just been reading a shorthold tenancy from april 2004 where the wording says no changing, or installing pre-paid meters.

Reply to
Andy Burns

As others have said, move in and then do a price comparison for all available suppliers. Pay particular attention to standing charges, which have shot up so that we can all pay for the suply companies which went bust.

Also, if at all possible, change prepayment meters for credit meters, as again they are much cheaper.

Reply to
John Armstrong

I agree with the advice to leave the gas and electricity until you are settled in. (Well, except for taking readings as soon as you are in. Take photos if possible.) Moving is stressful enough.

I did just want to add one point of detail for when you do get around to it. If you want to change from the PAYG meter try to get your landlord's agreement. They can't stop your supplier doing it but they could insist you get it switched back at the end of the tenancy at your expense.

Reply to
Robin

I've always wondered how taking a photo proves anything at all, surely the timestamp can be changed very easily.

Reply to
Chris Green

It's a matter of evidence for the balance of probabilities if the previous tenants lied. But emailing them to your suppliers soon after you move in is even better :)

Reply to
Robin

I decided to switch suppliers Tuesday evening, to Octopus. I did it online. My switch is now completed, 3 days later.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq