Subject Author Posted Replies

TOT energy from wind.
The boss of Octopus was on the radio this morning. Much of our energy needs are going to be solved by building yet more wind turbines. When it was pointed out that sometimes the wind doesn't blow his...
9
9

Never mind crisps, what about custard
I got some of those little pots of custard the other day, but the first one I had on my pudding did not taste like custard, it reminded me of the smell you got from using cellulose paint for model...
38
38

OT : Mystified by Walkers' Smokey Bacon crisps
How is it that the packets are printed to say Suitable For Vegetarians?
16
16

Building bookshelves etc
It is some years since I built furniture but I sense one can make cleaner, finer cuts these days with the right tools. So this is what I have: A 1000kw rotary saw that I cannot really control for fine...
30
30

VW car GPS language apparent translation
When I drive my VW car in France, the GPS speaks to me in English and warns me about obstructions ahead such as "Narrow Lanes" on the motorway. How does the GPS know that there is an obstruction ahead...
8
8

Nifty DIY tool / gadget gift ideas
We seem to have reached that time of year. Any suggestions for good DIY themed gifts?
18
18

Getting mould to grow on interior wall
Looking to get a low valuation on a property I own which I want to gift to a family member. One suggestion given was to artificially generate black mould on a ceiling and wall which could suggest that...
15
15

Xmas fairy lights
Sometime in the past couple of years (Sorry, don't remember, all posts deleted after being read) I got help in this NG and learnt about the way that bulbs fail becoming a short circuit and so keep the...
14
14

Twin flourescents.
I have a pair of twin fluorescent fittings lighting the L shaped workbench. A 6ft and 5 ft. Came from TLC maybe 30 odd years ago. Each one has a mixture of T8 and T12 tubes. The modern T8 take a while...
50
50

OT: Today's Freecycle
"Dell Dimension 3100 74.5gb Desktop. FDD does not open. 19" Dell screen not working. IBM Think Pad laptop. Wireless connection and battery connection do not work. Unprogrammed." Well, at least they're...
2
2

Carpentry software
Someone in another newsgroup mentioned the software Home Designer Architectural. One of the nice features about this is it'll plan roof structures and generate cut lists of timber for you. I was...
3
3

TOT carbon footprint
A courier suggests "Help to reduce the carbon footprint of your parcel by up to 90%* By diverting your parcel to a ParcelShop or locker" Isn't this somewhat negated by the customer having to travel to...
68
68

It alwaysd happens on a weekend
My wife dropped her car key in the boot of her 2006 VW Polo before slamming the lid closed. We moved not long ago and cannot locate her spare key, nor mine for that matter. Anyone know if you can get...
24
24

LED cabinet lights, can't make them work with timeswitch
I've got a set of three LED light panels designed to go under cabinets etc from Costco three panels are connected together by wires and the first panel (that's connected to the mains adaptor) has on...
9
9

Excel Experts
Trying to create a simple table using Excel [1] where the first line of data is Row 1 but, with column headings, the data always starts in Row 2. I can 'freeze' the heading row so that it remains...
14
14