Subject Author Posted Replies

OT. On the box last night.
Building Britain. We seem to be getting more and more government propaganda on the Beeb these days. This was about persuading people that extending Heathrow was a good idea and also HS2 was...
14
14

House stripped of copper
hello. Im thinking of moving house, the house i'm looking at is a good price and doesn't have any hideous problems. The previous tenants where evicted and ripped out all the copper pipes however the...
41
41

buying a gas hob from Italy - "gas safe" problems?
The hob we want to buy is significantly cheaper (almost 50%) if we buy it directly from Italy (where it is made) instead of from the UK retailer. Would there be any problems from the "gas safe" point...
41
41

What a PITA
SWMBO wanted an extra socket in the kitchen. Unwilling to start chopping lumps out of the rather nice tiles, I opted for a worktop socket from TLC has to be the worst designed pile of crap ever, with...
6
6

Cutting into a Staircase for Access
At the moment I can access under the house through the kitchen floor. It's come in useful a few times, but now I intend to have a decent kitchen floor and remove the trap door access. I think the...
13
13

fan oven fan failure
Hello, Last year I bought a Hotpoint fan oven. A year later the fan in the oven does not turn and just hums. Hotpoint want £70 for someone to come and look at it. I think I reported it to them just...
13
13

OT: Computer stuff
Well then I reckon I must be very lucky, along with all the rest of my family, and just about everybody that I know. My PCs here all run for months on end without being rebooted. This one was turned...
79
79

Siemens oven giving trouble again...
Hi all, Last year, I posted about our Siemens oven and the problem was correctly identified to be the element*, it was replaced by a non OEM (and quite cheap!) element. The oven is now having the same...
11
11

Careful with that paint pot
url:
10
10

grout / silicone interfacea
One thing that I am never quite happy with is the interface between grout a= nd silicone. For example, where you have tiled down to a worktop, the grout= lines come down, and at some point will...

Why such a big concrete lintel?
This is not a supporting wall. Two courses of brick above it and nothing else. house was built in 1969/1970.
18
18

uPVC door recolouring
Now that the Management have "Approved" the many many hours blood, sweat and tears from replacing the kitchen accoutrements inc' cabinet doors (Extremely mirror finish black, custom size and effin...
3
3

uPVC stockists Norf Lundin / Herts?
Hi All, I'm looking for a good supplier of uPVC profiles, probably associated with supplying the double glazing trade please? I used to have one locally and they were very handy for all sorts of the...

Wanted - minimalist paint spraying device - what's possible?
What's the cheapest/simplest way to be able to spray paint? It's just to get paint into odd inaccessible corners on our boat, down in the bilges and the inside of the (box section) bathing platform....
21
21

Wiring to shed
Shed in question is 10m away from house. I was going to use armoured cable (6mm?) and just plug into socket in house and drill hole through wall. Route cable along garden fence, into shed, into plug...
22
22