Subject Author Posted Replies

Plumbing stuff update.
Can't recall who recommended these Basin Mate things on the group, but thank you; I ordered one to try, & used it today on a right bugger of a job - it worked a treat. Four attempts to tighten & seal...
9
9

Unashamedly O.T. !
There was a proggy about schools in films on one of the kiddies thannels this evening before it shut down and some of those films were mentioned. One assumes the modern remakes are more explicit and...
5
5

OT a bit: Sony VAIO
Some while ago I bought a Sony laptop to act as a backup to my PC, after the latter was temporarily put out of action by a thunderstorm. I don't use the laptop much; it uses Windows 7, which I'm not...
25
25

wood for dining table top
I want to make a dining table which, for reasons of space, needs to be able to have its legs easily removed for storage. It also needs not to be too heavy to move about. It will only be dis/mantled...
6
6

There's something running around in my loft!
1930s brick semi in suburbia, with a slate roof. There's something running around in my loft - I can hear it through the bedroom ceiling and it sounds quite big, but then again it's hard to judge the...
29
29

Not D_I_Y tradesman to re-point house in Manchester area
AS above. My daughter semi is in need of re-pointing, how is the best way of finding a reliable tradesman/woman please?
6
6

OT:Newsreader broken
anyone suggest a reason why all of a sudden my replies are appearing in new threads ?
22
22

dishwasher waste trap
Hi, In the process of removing the old kitchen units, I have found that the dishwasher waste is plumbed in solvent weld pipe and the installer has created a running trap using some 45 degree joints to...
1
1

Knocking down internal walls - supporting wall or not?
Not doing myself..... But I understand if its a supporting wall then its a great deal more costly. Anyone got any ideas of costs for knocking down internal wall/ sorting out - supporting and...
16
16

Ways to Schedule Work
I'm running out of time/ability/patience, and need to get someone in to finish up my house. Basically, a load of light building works - plastering (mainly patching and skim), replacing floors,...
14
14

I failed my amateur electrician exam
Yesterday I had a near-disaster when replacing a faulty immersion heater switch. I connected Lin and Nin to the mains, and Lout and Nout to the immersion heater. The effect of this was that the...
26
26

White goods power consumption
Having recently installed solar panels I'm now searching for the power cons umption of various equipment in the house and am struggling. For example, o ur kettle says it's 3 kilowatt. Fair enough, but...
43
43

Using foam offcuts for insulation?
I have many binbags and boxes of kingspan offcuts and expanding foam trimmings, Rather than bin them could I use them for insulation under floors? But loosefill insulation comes in round granules,...
8
8

Useless advertising straplines?
"Every day, more pictures are taken with the I-Phone' So that's a least two pictures every day, then? Somewhere in the world at least two pictures are taken with one (or more) I-phone(s) every day....
20
20

touch dimmer switch stops working after a few days - any idea why?
Hi All The recent thread about blowing bulbs reminded me of this: Some years ago I fitted a pair of touch dimmer switches from TLC: These are for for ceiling lamps in our living room. These were...
8
8