Subject Author Posted Replies

touch dimmer switch stops working after a few days - any idea why?
Hi All The recent thread about blowing bulbs reminded me of this: Some years ago I fitted a pair of touch dimmer switches from TLC: These are for for ceiling lamps in our living room. These were...
8
8

Part P changes
Haven't seen anything about this here (and can't find anything on searches), so I'm going to post and be told that it was talked about 10 times last week. As of 6th April 2013, the following took...
11
11

BSP thread compound
I know - it's been done before - but there are seeming a constant stream of new products. So what would people reccomend for parallel BSP joints (brass) that I never want to get apart again - and...
21
21

An invention for better dishwasher maintenance
Our dishwasher failed some months ago. It made a big noise, came to a full stop and its fuse was blown. There also came some smell of fire from it. Without any more inspection I made the quick...
5
5

Tiling issue
A bathroom in a rental property was tiled a few years ago (not by me!). The tiler tiled over a black glass-like panel, which extended along the full length of the bath and up to around 800mm above it,...
3
3

OT: Source of this?
A friend reports he is getting this small image overlaid on many posts in several forums he uses, usually over an embedded image included with the post. I'm guessing some software accidentally...
15
15

Motorcycle battery
We are going overseas for four months, and I'm wondering what's the best way to ensure that my m/c battery is in good shape when I get back (people will be using the car). This battery is new, and I'd...
16
16

DIY challenge for kids
Hi, My wife has just asked me if I would like a project towards her MSc at our kids local pre-school. To create a light box /projector for a pre-school. The idea is to introduce some technology to 2-5...
21
21

Heating is back on...
It's been switched off for around 2 weeks now but we couldn't bear the cold any longer! Anyone else got their heating on in the middle of May?
23
23

Nothing is ever level or square....
I've been doing a lot of small DIY projects whilst renoving up my new house, over the past few weeks. I'm fairly new to DIY and prior to this house I'd have called out a tradesman out to do even the...
13
13

OT windas XP m/c updated self now won;t boot into windows.... hellup '<(
downloaded itself some updates, when I went to hibernate it the "updates to do" flag appeared next the "Switch OFF" icon, so I did & left it to it. Came back later switched on and after BIOS checks...
52
52

Bi-fold patio doors
We're considering replacing existing uPVC French doors and we're looking at bi-fold doors. The gap is about 2.25m wide so three panels of about 0.75m would seem to be the right size. What are the...
4
4

Bath lifts
Does anyone have experience of bath lifts. This is for a frail nonagenarian who lives by herself in a bungalow. The major problem is stepping out of the bath AJH
13
13

Thanks for the "DIY cockups", much fun
Reminded me of the time years ago when Evo-Stik was the "No More Nails" of the day. My Dad laid new floor tiles in the kitchen with it, enclosed space, no ventilation. We found him outside, lying down...
13
13

stairs - removable bannisters.
I'm getting the stair spindles etc. delivered tomorrow. I want to build a r emovable panel, a bit like John Rumm did, but this is a whole staircase (13 treads), and if not done well the result could...
3
3