16A Blue Socket

Hi there

I've done a search and couldn't find anything about 16A sockets so I wonder if you could help me?

I am wiring a ring main into my workshop and I need to have a 16A blue socket. My question is does this require a separate feed or can I include it on the ring?

If it requires a separate feed, should the cable be 2.5mm or 4mm?

When finished I'm getting an electrician to commission it for me.

Thanks Neil

Reply to
Newbie_Neil

OK, you mean EN 60309-1 industrial sockets, I think.

No these should not be wired on a conventional ring circuit, as in BS1363 because the circuit is implemented at 30 or 32A and the plug for EN 60309-1 has no fuse. This would be potentially dangerous for the connector, the appliance flex and the appliance.

These sockets should be wired separately - you can use 2.5mm^2 T&E. For the 16A type you can run several sockets on one circuit as long as you don't use more than a 20A breaker or fuse.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

These are unfused and shouldn't be run from a 32A ring, as there would be no overload protection. You can probably share a few on a single 16A circuit, but only if you don't expect the equipment to be OK with that.

For a short connection when you haven't used all your permitted voltage drop on the workshop feed, 2.5mm will normally be fine. However, if you want a proper calculation, you need to tell us:

  1. Installation method (i.e. clipped, conduit, buried in insulation).
  2. Length of the circuit.
  3. MCB rating for circuit.
  4. Voltage drop already used by workshop feed at full design capacity.
  5. Earthing method (if TT, we can ignore earth loop impedence, too)
  6. If not TT, earth loop impedence to workshop consumer unit.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Hi Andy and Christian

Thank you both for your replies.

As it is only about twelve feet I will run it with T&E 2.5

Thanks again Neil

Reply to
Newbie_Neil