Subject Author Posted Replies

Crimped joints
Any thoughts on insulated crimps plus heatshrink versus heatshrink crimps? e.g. This is 2.5mm^2 T&E which will be plastered over, and a decent ratchet crimping tool, obv.
7
7

Lime mortar pointing
This is repairs to a Scots farm cottage some 200 years old which might well have been re-pointed sometime in the last century using beach sand !! I hadn't spotted until recently that the CI down pipe...
20
20

I'd forgotten this....
The tiling from hell.... Photobucket
4
4

Worlds smallest wood screw?
Included in a John Lewis venetian blind. Used to fix metal brackets to a wooden fascia strip. Had to use a PH0 watchmakers screwdriver! Where would you get a screw that small?
10
10

DIY 6V battery charger
In a fit of madness, I just bought a project car that's old enough to have 6V electrics. Am in need of a battery charger as the vehicle's sat for a while since the last run; it looks like ones that...
18
18

UK wide car delivery - FREE
I'm now retired, love driving and travelling so I've been thing to offer a free service moving cars around the country. I was wondering if there might be some call for this sort of service? I would...
26
26

OT: Something for the birds
Here ya go, you can watch these chicks hatching over easter. Two have already! (no commercial interests) http://www.jet2.com/crackindeals

Er..pardon?
Looking online for strimmer cord, I came across this puzzling statement: "This is a quality non-genuine replacement spare item." ... which sounds as though it is a quality fake. Hmmm.
19
19

OT: Free Dynamic DNS provider?
I've been using DynDNS for a few years, but they're about to close down their free service and start charging. All I want to do is to be able to get remote access to the router at my holiday flat...
16
16

Helicopter noise
Relatives neighbour has started flying a helicopter from his field. Anyone familiar with CAA "requirements" for such use? Area is tight with only realistic approaches crisscrossed with low power...
56
56

Beko freezer not quite as cold as it should be - thermostat or failing compressor?
We have a Beko TZDA661 freezer which is quite a few years old now. It's not quite as cold as it should be, even with the cold control set to maximum coldness. Ice cream used to be rock hard even with...
6
6

OT. Windows 8 nearly drove me insane
I went to help an elderly partially sighted lady with her new first real experience of Windows 8. I thought I was good with computers but I felt like I'd never used one before and left wanting to...
105
105

fireplace tiles
I am looking at an alternative to using a metal fire trim to finish the edge between a fireplace cavity and the front wall of a chimney breast. Most of the cavity will be formed by a readymade...
5
5

Overboarding a ceiling
I have a lath and plaster ceiling that has seen better days and so I'm considering overboarding and skimming. Just trying to think through how this is done: Presumably it's possible to find the joists...
9
9

Seller recommendation
Always like to pass on a good company ... I needed to buy 20L of Sadolin stain .... Found a supplier not only considerable cheaper than competitors, great communication ... free delivery, I ordered...
2
2