Crimped joints

Any thoughts on insulated crimps plus heatshrink versus heatshrink crimps? e.g.

This is 2.5mm^2 T&E which will be plastered over, and a decent ratchet crimping tool, obv.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In article , Andy Burns writes

I don't see the point, you need an outer (heatshrink) sleeve anyway so I'd say the inner heatshrink was redundant. That's the way a leccy pal recently did some joints on a friend's place. He had to pinch some heatshrink from me as he had forgotten his and was a little nonplussed to find it was traditional sleeving as these days he works with heatshrinkable tape which he wraps and then shrinks. I've not seen this for sale but it does ring a bell and I remember it being a bit expensive. This work was directly plastered over.

Reply to
fred

The insulation on T&E softens at a lower temperature than many other types of cable. You may well find the heat-shrink just pushes the PVC out as you cure it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

OK, I shan't bother then; I need to buy some but just wanted to make sure heatshink crimps aren't to normal crimps as wago connectors are to choc block.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I tried some Wago connectors on their stand at the screwfix trade show. They had lengths of 2.5mm^2 and the connectors. I had already told the guy I use crimps and wouldn't trust Wago connector's contact pressure. I assembled one, pulled on it and it came out. The Wago guy looked surprised and said "You wouldn't do that with a crimp, would you?", to which I said "always".

I've continued to use crimps ever since.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I'd tried it before and thought I couldn't pull it out, but just tried again and yes, you *can* pull it out, but it takes a lot of force.

I wasn't implying that a wago was a substitute for a crimp, obviously it's a substitute for a chocblock ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Not come across Heatshrik tape .... selfamalgamating tape and repair tape, but not heatshrink ... do you know nay more ?

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Here ya go (for description):

or below for pricing (sit first):

note the hot melt (rather than heat shrink is cheaper):

For these boys it's time taken/saved rather than materials cost, the dinky little LED wall lights he had as spares were 120quid a pop online when checked.

Raychem is always top notch and priced accordingly, google may find cheaper brands, I just searched "heatshrink tape".

Reply to
fred