Subject Author Posted Replies

Today's Freecycle
Bury St. Edmunds area. Suit a collector? Message ________________________________________________________________________ 1. Offered IP32 Practical Wireless magazines Posted by: storno Date: Mon Aug...

Integrating a UPS and Windows 7 Professional
Having hopefully sorted out my power failure protected timer issue as per a series of previous posts I'm now turning my attention to protecting my desktop PCs that run Windows 7 Professional. Is it a...
18
18

OT Amazon deliveries.
Amazon offer free delivery for item costing over £10. I ordered two widgets that were shown as being in stock. If I had been willing to pay I could have had them delivered the next day. As it was not...
54
54

Testing night storage heaters.
Two night storage heaters, one of which trips the MCB when it comes on overnight. Simple way to eliminate the duff one is to switch one on every night & see which one trips. If the d*zy c*w tenant...
11
11

Hammerite
Recent question was whether you had to re-coat within 4 Hrs or wait 6 weeks which was what Finnegans used to print on the tin. The official answer from Akzo Nobel Technical is: "The formulation of the...
7
7

What's the trick for painting front doors?
I realised that of all the jobs I've done over the years, I've never painted a front door. It shouldn't be difficult, of course, but I find that paint always takes a lot longer than the quoted time to...
23
23

Cleaning bathroom light/fan - easiest way
The light in the fan/light assembly I fitted in 2004 has finally given up the ghost. I strongly suspect it's not the bulb, but the cheap-as-chips contacts, which gave up the ghost on the similar unit...
1
1

Anyone cut a granite worktop?
Hi All, I have bought some pieces of granite worktop for my outdoor BBQ and I now n eed to do a bit of cutting to get them to fit correctly. Searching around for advice on whether this is a DIY task...
49
49

Fridge Thermostats
The thermostat on my kitchen fridge has failed yet again (only "continuously on" rather than the usual "continuously off"). It must only have lasted a few months, which peeves me, although they're...
2
2

Hurricane Bertha a damp squib?
Half an hour of downpour, a rumble of thunder + an hour of reasonably high wind, and that's it? Anyone seen anything remarkable weather wise? The press are playing hard to the extreme weather meme,...
19
19

Please recommend a 24 hr timer
I have three 24 hour timers, and yesterday we had the power on and off 6 or 7 times due to power cuts. Each time loads of things need re-setting including these three timers Can anyone recommend from...
11
11

Position for an automatic bypass valve.
I have a vented oil fired heating system fitted with Grundfos dual headed c irculating pumps and Grundfos pump plan wiring centre. There are no motori zed valves in the system. I have just fitted...
1
1

Piggin cable clips
Why are cable clips so useless? I buy the Tower brand from TLC, not el cheapo ones; but the pins just bend if hammered into anything harder than a marshmallow. Installed an awning last week, pins bent...
30
30

OT: how to remove ib.adnxs from AOL client
A friend uses the AOL client (about which, I know nothing) for email and has started getting a barrage of advertising windows which open continuously - they seem to be from This doesn't happen when...
7
7

Flue in flue...
Was looking at possible positions where someone could site a new boiler... There is a nNice space on the wall in the kitchen which would be ideal (above where the old floorstander boiler is currently...
12
12