Subject Author Posted Replies

Bending 22m copper - annealing?
Well - I guess I've been mostly bending 15mm with a pipe bender. Had to do some 22mm today - boy does it need some welly. Someone (Andrew G IIRC) mentioned something about annealing pipe before...
28
28

Well, sometimes you have to see it for real to know it looks crap
Working out how to take the water main through the ceiling, been testing some dry-fitted pipes: Wrong: Better: "Wrong" seemed like a good idea - until I tried it... Why so far forward? Well: (Above...
3
3

Radiator brackets - which way round?
I've never been sure about this one... ordinary radiator brackets have an 'L' cross section (eg and are obviously intended to be able to be fitted either way round so that the radiator hangs 'nearer...
13
13

Today's DIY cockup
12V halogens do not last very long when connected to the mains.
24
24

OT Internet Status
This morning, virginmedia cable service down. 3 mobile internet access - down. O2 mobile internet access down. EE mobile internet access down. (3 transmitter is not located at the same place of O2 &...
8
8

OT: SoGA stuff
I remember seeing it here on several occasions in the past, but Google brought nothing... A friend bought a top-of-the-range TV from Curry's last year, and it now died - 15 months after he bought it....
19
19

Power shower: Something one can install oneself?
I can wire a plug. Before it became illegal, I put in 13A spurs (extra sockets) in my own house. I've put in new sinks, soldered Yorkshire fittings. I am a concientious DIY-er. But a power shower? It...
40
40

Has anyone built a lightbox?
I've been asked to build an A3 size lightbox by a lady who is doing a botanical art course and has need of such for tracing leaf shapes and the likes onto paper. I can get what is billed as suitable...
18
18

cartridge v. wire fuse?
There is an fault in the mains supply to the electric heaters in the community hall for which I am responsible. The heaters are fed from an off-peak meter via a time switch. This switch is not...
4
4

working on gas.
My gas supplier has turned the gas off at the meter saying there's a a leak or the system needs tightening. Currently there's a 0.5 milli bar 'leak' in 2 mins. which he says is within limits but...
61
61

TV/HD/Sky Qs
Hi all I have a Sony Bravia 32" TV and have been watching the Free-to-View standard Sky channels. The DIY bit is that I set the dish and cabling up having inherited it from emigrating friends! The TV...
24
24

16A fan oven
I have just ordered a fan oven from John Lewis. it is ridiculously cheap, and I have a strong feeling that the order will be cancelled. (Bosch HBN531E2B for £109 after allowing for cashback, in case...
34
34

How to find out what the source of my household water is?
Is it possible / feasible to track back from a water main to the original source of the water? I live in an area where there is some river extraction, some boreholes and some supplied from distant...
3
3

ebac 2650 spillage
Well, the reviews mentioned possible problems with the ebac 2650 float swit ch. I just had a spillage. The tank was basically full to the brim, and I a m not sure if the float switch was about to...
8
8

'Egg box' mattress topper. Sources?
Bit OT perhaps... Have used a 2 inch [ish] egg box mattress topper for years - great things. Might only last 12 months but they're cheap. Unfortunately the shop I used has closed, I tried twice but...
4
4