Induction hobs

We're in the process of getting one as the existing hob is packing up bit by bit. SWMBO has a basic question - with an induction hob, how much does it matter if the pan is larger/smaller than the ring being used?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Depends on the pan base thickness, to a great extent. Thick bases spread the heat better. El cheapo, thin pans tend to have a hot region over the ring and a cooler area around the periphery. Useful for some cooking applications, though!

Terry.

Reply to
terry.shitcrumbs

I've used them a lot...

Usually, not much. But it could be manufacturer dependant.

Miele for example are very unfussy about a small pan on the "big" ring.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Smaller is fine.

Larger may well depend on the hob... The one we have is a portable one,

2.2Kw and it overheats when on full power and I put the very big cast iron pan on it which more than covers the ring and goes almost to the edge of the device.

It's this one:

Actually very impressed with it for general cooking and if buying a new full-size cooker would go for induction all the way.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Very much less than with other hobs. Some have clever features which can help ensure that, say, a large oval casserole can be heated over all or most of its base.

Reply to
polygonum

Our Bosch needs the smallest milk saucepan we use positioned carefully in the center of its largest ring of the four but it will work. With care the other 3 rings ,2 medium size ,one small will heat a centrally placed tin such as baked beans so no need to mess up a saucepan. Must be a man thing as the missus moans like hell when I do it despite me pointing out it saves washing up. Works on Golden syrup as well so it can be spread on bread without tearing it up.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Depends very much on the hob. We have a Lidl portable one (which has just blown the control panel display but still works).

The hob has a safety mechanism to prevent it turning on if there isn't a suitable pan covering it. So it depends on how broad that detection area is.

In theory a very large pan shouldn't make any difference although you may have issues spreading the heat. As always, read the manual if in doubt :-)

Cheers

ave R

Reply to
David

Presumably you remove the other end of the tin first? How do you stir the beans while they are being heated?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Having had one in a recent holiday cottage, me too. Just as controllable as gas and much easier to clean.

Can't recall the make, but it was a member of the AGA-Raeburn Group.

Reply to
Huge

This thread got me wondering, which form of electric pan heating is the most efficient then. I mean there are halogen, induction and the old fashioned element types around. I can see that the induction version shoul be easier to clean, but its all a bit of black art this eddie current lark. brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Off Course,

With a Fork but they don't need much stirring in the tin , bottom gets too hot to eat,top is cooler, stirred on plate and they are just right.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

There are induction hobs that detect the size and position of the pan and heat only the bit the pan is standing on:

Nightjar

I have always assumed that they are fairly efficient as most of the heat is generated in the bottom of the pan. They do generate some internal heat. My Bosch one has a fan which blows air out just under the worktop surface.

Reply to
Michael Chare

I agree. They must be more efficient than other electric hobs. You simply do not get the heat in the hob, or pluming up round the pans, that you do with the others.

It also makes cooking more pleasant in the summer.

Reply to
polygonum

Um, induction jobs don't heat up. They just make the pan get hot.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

(a) That isn't what he said & (b) yes, they do. No conduction on your planet? Indeed, they have "Hot!" warnings.

Reply to
Huge

Smeg describe the action as heating in the link given above, but for the terminally pedantic, their hob only energises the part the pan is actually standing on. ;-)

Reply to
Nightjar

That's right. The hot base of the pan heated by induction will then heat up the glass top on which it is standing. This will trigger the "hot" warning light on our Belling that comes on when you switch off the power to that zone.

This model also copes with small-sized pans on one zone using a two diameter induction zone, I assume. This is much better than trying to use a larger sized gas ring or halogen on a similar small pan.

Reply to
John Weston

He said "heat only the bit the pan is standing on". They don't heat the bit the pan is standing on. They heat the pan, which may then heat the the hob by conduction (assuming no thermal insulation in between).

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

/> How do you stir

With a Fork but they don't need much stirring in the tin , bottom gets too hot to eat,top is cooler, stirred on plate and they are just right./q

'Et voila' ....

Jim K

Reply to
JimK