induction hobs

If you had one and found it wanted a bigger pan than the last time you used it, what do you think would be wrong with it?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

My hob can detect the presence of a steel pan. It switches off if there is no pan on the 'ring'.

If it failed to do this as normal, and would only stay on with a large pan, I would expect there ot be a fault in the induction 'element', or either of the two control circuit boads, so I would contact the manufacturer and hope I could speak to someone who had a better idea.

If the fault lay with one of two similar rings I would try reversing the wiring.

Reply to
Michael Chare

It's an induction hob. That *is* what's wrong with it.

Reply to
Huge

Many thanks for that. I am asking from another group

Thanks for you input.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

It could be the pan you are using was always on the boarderline of working with the hob, and now somthing in the hob has changed tolerance very very slightly, so now it doesn't like it - is the pan steel bottomed, or does it have steel plugs in it like this one seems to have?

Toby

Care to elaborate? We're delighted with ours.

Reply to
teddysnips

Yes, well. There are people here who profess to be "delighted" by their Agas. Which doesn't prove much other than that some people don't know how to cook.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I too amd puzzled by this comment - what specifically is bad about induction hobs!?

Reply to
Toby

So if I understand you correctly, you're asserting that it's not possible to cook properly on either an Aga or an induction hob. Do please let us know what qualifies you to make such a statement (if I haven't got it arse-about-face).

Reply to
teddysnips

Beats me. It's perfectly possible to cook properly on an Aga.

Reply to
Andy Hall
[snip]

I'm sure it's fine for warming up your chips and lard.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I wouldn't know - don't use either.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Ah, in denial eh?

Reply to
Steve Firth

FWIW I chose not to buy an induction hob because I feared that my heavy handed style of cooking - much shaking of pots on the (gas) rings - would break the glass surface. I have also heard of jam pitting glass topped hobs (in general, not only induction hobs).

I was, however, amazed by the speed with which an induction hob boiled a pan of water.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

I don't know, I am asking from another ng and poster. I was taught induction when I was an apprentice, but I have never worked with the technology, hence my lack of know how.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Fair enough, the reason I ask is, I have a cheapie pan that works OK on one "ring" but not on another the same size, this has the steel plugs I am on about, so may only just have the required % material for the hob to work properly with it.

Reply to
Toby

And me! We'd never buy anything other than induction now that we've experienced it. The controllability of gas, rapid heating when required, no dangerously hot rings, no burning of pan by replacing them onto a hot ring, lower energy bills. In short induction is brilliant - but then we are not cordon bleu cooks!

Reply to
kent

Avoiding chips and crap? Hardly.

I use the best quality olive oil :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

No you don't.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Well OK. Almost the best. Perhaps I should try a free sample of the best one.

Reply to
Andy Hall