Induction hobs - can you afford one?

For the second time in three months the glass has shattered on my superb Hotpoint induction hob after dropping a metal item ( pepper mill/ kitchen knife) from an overhanging ledge Cost of replacement is 200. It's a DIY job. Why did my previous bog standard glass-topped Horpoint hobs never seem succeptible to such occasional ham-fistedness?
I've had to adopt the safety procedure of covering the induction hob with a piece of vynil when not in use.
Between times, when I have been forced to revert to a bog-standard hob during repairs, it has proved that the induction hob is miles ahead in power and speed and cleanliness.
Thought you'd like to know!!
Jimmie (400 down but still in love with induction).
Jay Arr wrote:

Have you thought about adding 'accidental damage' to your home insurance cover?
Jay Arr wrote:

Have you thought about adding 'accidental damage' to your home insurance cover?
Why, so the rest of us pay for it as well!!

Wouldn't it be easier to move the shelf?
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Peter Parry wrote:

Best solution I'd say.
Or, if that's not viable just keep often used items on the work surface next to the hob and if the shelf _must_ remain then put rarely used things on it... like... cookery books.

When you take out the last screw, just be very careful you don't drop it ... ;-)
--
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I think the hob would be able to handle a single falling screw without too much damage.
:))

Dunno, but I'd sure shift the overhanging ledge.
--
Skipweasel
Jay Arr wrote:

Ever seen a professional chef use an induction hob? No...
shokka
Shokka wrote:

Don't they have non-professional types to clean up after them too?
Our Induction hob gets used pretty infrequently, but the ease of cleaning alone justifies the premium price tag.
Wouldn't go back to any other type of hob... Unless I was really clumsy and kept dropping things on it!
:)
Shokka wrote:

Actually yes, but only on board ship where fire regulations prohibited any form of flame.
Owain
Owain wrote:

Induction hobs are hugely expensive (Roughly 7 times that on a conventional hob) and and have half the system efficiency of a gas hob.
They are also less reliable, more expensive to repair than other types of electric hob and are rather fussy about the cookware you use.
Yes, they are easy to clean but then so is a halogen hob which is cheaper!
Apart from "poseur" value, I really don't see the benefit at all!
Shokka wrote:

A very cheap conventional hob perhaps - our DeDietrich was ~600.

Now that /is/ total rubbish - they're not far off 95% efficient, as evidenced by the tiny heat loss though the cooling fan.

Certainly not my experience.

Your first correct assertion.

Only in that you need to use pans with relatively thick bases.

But a halogen hob fails to perform its primary function, that of transferring heat to pots and pans, with any degree of adequacy.

No, I'm sure you don't. I'm guessing you've never actually used one.
--
Grunff

Grunff wrote:

Only that you need to use pans with ferrous bases, readily available from QVC, hardly the most exclusive purveyors of culinaria, and the appropriate ranges are helpfully demonstrated by Adrienne with the assistance of a magnet.
Owain
Grunff wrote:

Errr, you are misinterpreting what I said.
I said they have half the SYSTEM efficiency of a gas hob. See here, section 6.3.2:
http://www.eci.ox.ac.uk/lowercf/pdfdownloads/decade2.pdf
shokwave
I have a Hotpoint induction hob. It was expensive. It is a delight to use. It pumps out power when I want it and gives exceptionally fine control over low heat settings. It is magic to clean since the induction principle heats the pot and not the glass cooker surface. No knobs - everything touch control. It beats every device I have used for the past 50 years including a Kelly Kettle, an outback camp fire, a military field kitchen flame thrower and my granny's gas cooker. A recent repair to replace the smashed glass top was 200 for the part alone but examination of the innards during the repair process revealed why these devices are expensive. Would I buy another? Yes.
Jimmie
Cordon Bleu
Jay Arr wrote:

Could you give us some indication as to what you found in them there innards ? Lots of coils wound in pure gold, etc ... Simon.
sm_jamieson wrote:

May be of interest. http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/indheat.html I wonder how much power he was using to heat those items to white hot. Simon.

Oxygen-free litz wire?
--
Frank Erskine

More like 4

You just have to have the right type of pans. Once you have them it is not an issue

Efficient as heat is gnerated in pan, very rapid response to changes in control settings, no heat is given off if pans is removed.
--

Michael Chare