Subject Author Posted Replies

Dummy AA battery?
Since Lithium Ions are double the voltage, is there such a thing as a "dummy AA" battery which I could use along with a Lithium to give the same voltage in a 2xAA piece of equipment?
90
90

Firedoor question, hinges
Its a HMO,all the doors have closers and are FD30 doors. While replacing painted up combined seals ,noticed some hinges are just ste el butt hinges, and some are grade7 hinges.Even though weight wise...

Load bearing question
We had a kid like that. She was a problem in cold weather because if she got cold (and it happened quickly) she became very peculiar indeed. A hot drink and a duvet fixed her quick though. She's grown...
21
21

Loose floor tiles
Since we've had the house, I've been aware that the ceramic tiles on the kitchen floor were neither the best quality nor very well fixed, as one or two sounded a bit hollow when tapped. No problem, as...
7
7

GU5.3 LED retrofit recommendations please
trim That answered a lot of questions for me. Bill
7
7

Idea bounce - clipping many cables to joist without nails
Lighting wiring next spring - will have *many* cables running in bundles to switch drops and the like - eg bundles of 4 will be quite common. Some good cable runs might be between wood with 4" gap, so...
16
16

Why does everything seem to come with wires these days?
A friend has been buying lights and other diy fittable electrical stuff, and was bemoaning the current trend to stick short bits of cable on everything. Most can be removed, but not all. Is there some...
2
2

Wiki: Pipe repair
Suggestions for improvement welcome... NT '''How to repair a leaking pipe''' - a beginner's guide [[image:IMAG2567-3 pipe |600px]] [[image:IMAG2574-3 |600px]] The homeowner decided to install a...
10
10

Building a new block shed where there was dry rot in the previous wooden one
I inherited a large (4m x3m) wooden shed with a suspended floor. It's built on two rows of concrete blocks with a DPC on top. The wooden shed frames a re mounted on the DPC. Flooring joists rest on...
4
4

OT Campylobacter
In the USA, meat is rinsed with a "chlorine solution", presumably a very dilute solution of sodium hypochlorite or something similar, but this is not allowed under UK regs. However the "ready to eat"...
32
32

Eh? How to cable up new hob
OK - as the old hob was slowly biting the dust (only 2.5 rings out of 4 work now), we bought a new induction one. This will require the cabinets to be modified as I think the existing hob doesn't...
10
10

Crown emulsion at Aldi
Did it turn out to be ok? If its up to the standards of Leyland etc I may get some next time round. NT

OT - Amazon Prime
Clicking through the usual route for free delivery on Amazon I suddenly realise that I had been lured into signing up to Amazon Prime. Don't know how it happened, but there seems no way to cancel it....
50
50

Converting to sealed CH, parts question
After advice here about CH issues, which appear to be cavitation, I am look ing into changing my system from open vent to sealed. I have checked my boi ler (Micron 50FF) has an overheat stat, and it's...
4
4

Lubricating cables!?
I need to get 5 cables down a 8" lengh of plastic ducting (which is already embedded through a wall) - 3 TV/coax and 2 ethernet cables. I've slightly miscalculated, and it's going to be a very tight...
32
32