Subject Author Posted Replies

Screw sheared off in pattress - what to do
As part of a redecoration project, I've been tasked with replacing the rather cheap and nasty light switches with nice brushed steel, concealed screw ones. Not that that's awfully relevant. The point...
48
48

Replacing gas fire thermocouple
I've got a gas fire with a suspected faulty thermocouple. Symptoms are I can light the pilot but it goes out as soon as I release the knob. I've tried holding the knob down for about 30 seconds with...
27
27

Re: mobile pressure washing
[spam] I think mobiles might not work so well after being pressure washed. Theo

BBC Internet Radio Streams
Those of us who take the business of listening to radio seriously, i.e. high quality sound through high quality audio equipment, will have been astonished or just plain confused by the BBC's recent...
30
30

Hammer drill keeps slipping into hammer mode
I've had a cheapo hammer drill for ages, bought it in Wilko or Payless for around £15. It's fine, EXCEPT that the ruddy thing keeps slipping into hammer mode. There is a sliding square-section button...
13
13

(OT) Wireless connection veeerrryyy slow... (longish)
Got a new Belkin AC1200 (F9J1106 v1) modem router last week. It is dual-band, and I know what you are going to say about Belkin - it wasn't my first choice either, but it was free. Set it up without a...
22
22

PIR Flood light
Any recommendations for a LED PIR Floodlight - maybe 30 watts to light drive at side of house from high up - pointing straight down.
9
9

GU10 LED replacements
Some folk I know have a house with no less than 40 GU10 lamps (kitchen, bathroom, hallways) all rated at 25W which makes for a staggering 1KW. I suggested that replacing the whole lot *now* with LEDs...
19
19

worcester 34 or glowworm ultracom 2 35 decision time
Now is the time to decide have been recommended these by two different inst allers worcester £180 dearer. Any opinions welcome.
4
4

Li-ion batteries EOL?
How do Li-ion batteries behave when approaching or at their End of Life? Gradualy fade away, giving shorter and shorter times between recharges? Become unpredictable, battery "meter" shows >1/2 full...
10
10

EPC in new-ish flats
Some 8-10 years ago, a block of flats was built at the far end of my road. I happened to notice one for sale in an estate agent's window today, and it's EPC rating is 'F'. I am somewhat amazed that...
34
34

Advice on charging lawn mower battery?
Any comments on this scenario please chaps? I went to the place where I do the garden, put the lawn mower battery on my charger, then went off to do other stuff for an hour or two. Funny thing: when I...
18
18

OT. EUSSR "Investment fund."
Where your pension plan might disappear to. They get ever more desperate. Finance ministers have agreed their position on the EU’s flagship investment fund at a meeting in Brussels on Tuesday.
13
13

Fence post depth
Hi all, How deep below ground level should a post hole be for a close-boarded fence that's 5.5' high? The post in question is 100mm square in section if that makes any difference. cheers, cd.
22
22

Canon MP270 printer not printing very well
4 or 5 year old inkjet colour printer/scanner. I doubt it's printed 50 pages in its entire life. It worked fine a year ago and then last weekend I tried to print a b&w pdf document and it's very faint...
9
9