EPC in new-ish flats

The EPC is a box ticking exercise. If a house doesn't fit the boxes it gets a lower rating. eg, my house uses zero fossil fuel energy for heating but still only gets a C. This because there is no heating system, the assumption is that portable electric heaters are used.

Reply to
harryagain

Some 8-10 years ago, a block of flats was built at the far end of my road. I happened to notice one for sale in an estate agent's window today, and it's EPC rating is 'F'. I am somewhat amazed that such a new home only achieves an 'F' rating.

I was also slightly amused to see most of the properties in the estate agent's window advertised as 'EPC awaited'. There's a daily fine (was £200/day in 2008) for marketing a property before having the EPC, which it looks like is being ignored.

I regard EPC's as a complete waste of time anyway, but this still surprised me a bit.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I've been noticing similar, but presumed it was down to the suppositions rather than facts that EPCs are based on.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I have a factory unit, where the only insulation is a double skin roof with about 4" of mineral wool in it. That is rated E.

I need one on another factory unit and am finding it very difficult to get anyone who can issue the EPC. Part of that is it being industrial, but they do seem to be remarkably busy people.

Indeed. the next unit in the block to the one above, built at the same time and in the same way is rated F.

Reply to
Nightjar

I've just seen a new building go up.

3" rockwool (from what I could see from a distance) into the cavity walls.

WHY the hell are they not putting 3" celotex in? It's not exactly expensive anymore.

So no, does not surprise me. Well, it did in a way because I assumed Part L was tighter than that...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Taylor Wimpey built 100 new houses in the village where I live in 2013.

One detached property was constructed right opposite Sainsburys and every day I watched as the cavity walls got higher and higher, yet no sign of celotex or full-fill rockwool cavity batts. Finally as they got near to the soffit level, some rockwool was seen poking out the top. I don't believe the whole cavity was filled, just a ring around the top.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Building control would not allow 3 inches of PIR insulation in a 4 inch cavity, even though a decent brickie would create an unobstructed 1 inch cavity outside the 3 inch of PIR anyway.

Reply to
Andrew

That is worse than my 40+ year old flat with a concrete roof.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Really? Again surpised - assuming the outer leaf can breath, I cannot see any reason to have any air gap at all?

After all - how is it different to post construction foam injection?

Reply to
Tim Watts

You'd think flats would get much better ratings simply by having less ex= ternal walls.

-- =

Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Reply to
dennis

Can't remember if this was mentioned here or elsewhere, but they have form for 'forgetting' the insulation:

aka:

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

If house building companies could get away without using bricks, plasterboard, windows, foundations and land they would. The actual energy requirements of housing stock should be measurably dropping in line with changes in building regs, but are they? Apart from the 'specials' they build for someone to inspect and test I have no confidence any of them come even remotely close to their theoretical or even intended performance.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Of course, whilst all this is just a "marketing" item it's irrelevant if following the rules gets the wrong answer

but once it becomes a gateway into "legal permission to let" it important that it is right

tim

Reply to
tim.....

/The EPC is a box ticking exercise. If a house doesn't fit the boxes it gets a lower rating. eg, my house uses zero fossil fuel energy for heating but still only gets a C. This because there is no heating system, the assumption is that portable electric heaters are used. /q

Silly me! I presumed you kept warm by spouting hot air & burning copious amounts of self generated bullshit... :-)

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

its a weird world when the poorly insulated houses can be owned & lived in , yet renters must have better

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The insulation industry is pushing hard to have it reflected in the council tax, so you get charged more for less well insulated homes. I can imagine some governments allowing local authorities to do this in the not too distant future.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Owners have more choice whether they insulate their house or not. Renters don't usually have that choice, and would often benefit from having information about running costs before taking on a tenancy.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Renters can choose between properties in a free market. I agree its good to have information, but that's all. And as harry points out the assessments aren't really effective at providing information.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Have you been a renter recently?

Most people who do have a requirement for "available tomorrow" and at any one time that availability is very limited. Once you have eliminated all of the properties that don't fit your size/monetary profile you're usually left with a choice of about 3 properties and have to select the least worst. Filtering on "insulation" just isn't practice at all in 98% of cases

tim

Reply to
tim.....