Soundproofing between flats

Can anyone recommend what I can put down on the floor between two flats in order to reduce sound levels? At the moment sound carries between the two flats and I believe there's some sort of 'sound' board I can put down. I'm also thinking of putting a laminate floor down in some rooms and I'm worried that this will make the carrying of sound problem worse.
Thanks,
Brian

Many leases explicitly forbid anything other than carpet due to noise reasons. Although not a great fan of wall-to-wall carpet, myself, it seems like a good idea for flats.
Christian.
An old technique was to put trays of sand between the floor/ceiling joists. Obviously the joists have to be able to take the weight. Simon.

An old cottage I once worked on had egg boxes filled with crushed cockle shells between the floors to deaden sound, it worked well.

The Hampton Court fire revealed that Sir Christopher Wren had used crushed shells for this purpose 300+ years ago. I stand to be corrected but would guess that shells have a fairly porous surface which probably does a much better job of soaking up sound than mineral wool does.
I believe there are a number of products on the market designed for this. Here is one...
http://www.soundreduction.co.uk/3.html
Don't know how much but probably not cheap..
Roy
ScoopeX wrote:

Egg crates and loft insulation on top although you will not get rid of the sound completly due to the nature of the joist flexing as you walk about on the floor or have a washing machine on the go.