worcester 34 or glowworm ultracom 2 35 decision time

Now is the time to decide have been recommended these by two different inst allers worcester £180 dearer. Any opinions welcome.

Reply to
curious

Vaillant and Worcester-Bosch always seem to come top both here and in Which?

Reply to
newshound

In article , curious writes

What was wrong with the opinions you got last time you asked?

Reply to
fred

Lookong for opinions on the glowworm as the worcester was the obvious choice over the baxi but thd glow worm site says ghe ultracom is edpecially quiet which is a concern of mine.

Reply to
curious

In article , curious writes

Apologies, I thought you were asking the same question as before.

It looks like the WB option you are looking at is the Cdi Classic which has more room than the classic and so may be easier to service than their compact range.

They may still be offering a 6 year warranty if installed by one of their approved installers which may be of some use to you and might be worth the extra money (expect conditions that it is regularly serviced).

Noise level is easy to find and it says this is 44dB when running flat out.

I have no experience of the Glow-worm but the exploded diagram seems to show plenty of space with the sensible feature of having the expansion vessel located at one side, making it easy to replace if it fails in future years and suggesting sensible design practices. The installation manual looks well laid out and has much detailed information and helpful exploded diagrams which I view as a sign of good attention to detail in the design process.

Good display and push button up and down on temp controls where the WB still has rotary 'pots' which do feel a little flimsy and may be a point of failure in future.

They do claim that it is exceptionally quiet but seem to be a bit cagey about actual figures, I couldn't find any in the brochure, user or servicing/maintenance manuals. It might be an idea to contact them and ask them for an actual noise figure to tie that issue down if it is an area of particular concern.

Also, I see there is a 'store' model which claims to have an innovative twin tank hot water store that reduces standing losses in pipes and I have inferred from this that you would not experience the usual annoying, bit of hot, bit of cold, return to hot flow of normal combis (including the ones that claim to have a store - the WBs suffer from this). Ah, but I see it is 300quid extra so perhaps not . . . .

2 year warranty, less than the potential one with WB but it's not bad.

From my cursory look, I would certainly consider fitting one.

Reply to
fred