Subject Author Posted Replies

VAX motor is stiff
Any ideas on how to remove the shroud covering the fan on a VAX 121 vacuum cleaner? The motor is stiff, and probably need a new bearing at the hidden end.
2
2

Mobility scooter/wheelchair "growling"
As SWMBOs ability to walk is worsening, I've tried to use the advantage of time, to snap up some bargains for mobility. Have currently amassed 3 portable "Aqua soothe" scooters, and a Roma Medical UL7...
12
12

life expectancy of copper hot water cylinder
We are having to replace a copper hot water cylinder for the second time in 25 years. Does this sound normal. Anyway what makes them fail. We are in a soft water area.
21
21

Getting a modern phone to ring
Argh! Have promised to lend another local drama group my home brew phone ringer built from a PIC and a 4 transistor H-bridge driver circuit for a play this week. I've used this to good effect at my...
60
60

For the d-i-y softies amongst us ...
Heartbleed Bug

Making springs
Hi, I need to make up a few small compression springs; about 20mm long and 5mm wide (outside diameter max.) Any idea where I might be able to source the wire for this purpose? I saw someone on YT...
16
16

Ping ARW
In a different life I used to do fire risk assessment. The contract was with a major nationwide and offshore retailer. This was in the early days of risk assessment - common sense was still alive. I...
22
22

Who makes a good solid simple 13A power bar
aka "extension strip" - 6 ways or so. Needs to be
6
6

Copper olives
Are they any better than brass in situations where alignment is less than perfect, or the pipe is slightly deformed, or is of an old standard with slightly different and non-standadr O.D. as some 1/2"...
2
2

Fuel pump, ride on mower
Old laser mower with Kohler 18hp twin. Now have sparks (new plugs) but no fuel. No obvious blockages, suspect mechanical pump diaphragm. Spares don't seem to be readily available, is there any obvious...
2
2

Can't believe Screwfux
"You have chosen an item which can only be sold to customers registered with the Gas Safe Register." What bollox!
16
16

PING Arfa Daily
I have a Phillips HTS3111 sound bar that's suddenly stopped working - not a peep emerges from the bar or the woofer. Power to unit as lights are on, it reacts to remote. Changed optical cable for...

Replacement door handles
We have a wooden door with knackered handles. The handles turn down to open the door, as usual, but also up to lock, and engage additional fixings, top and bottom of the door. Looking at replacements,...

Interlinked alarms - power supply
Hello, I'm starting to install some interlinked smoke and heat alarms. Can they use L & N from different circuits, or sgould they have a seperate dedicated one. John M
20
20

cheap paint
I'm finally getting to the point where I'm ready to decorate downstairs, have several newly built plasterboard walls and other walls that have had plaster patched in places, some to be painted, others...
2
2