12 missions

Among the 12 missions, to be completed by 2030, are promises to: ? Eliminate illiteracy and innumeracy by refocusing education spending on the most disadvantaged parts of the country (make the tests easier) ? Bring the rest of the country's public transport up to London standards (standing only, 2cm social distancing) ? Provide access to 5G broadband for the "large majority" of households (for your virtual days out and virtual holidays - real ones and car gone) ? Create more first-time homebuyers in all areas, and reduce the number of "non-decent rented homes" by 50% (blacks and transgenders to get 90% and at front of queue)

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Refocusing education spending to other parts of the country means levelling down.

Would that be TFL's standards before or after the pandemic? Before, there were 8 trains an hour at my local station. Now 3 - assuming none cancelled.

No surprise the broadband they want to 'make available' is also the most expensive with the best profit margin.

And, of course, at zero cost to the taxpayer. Except via UC, where rents go to a private landlord. Who ain't providing housing as a social service.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

You must stand for parliament, I'll vote for you :-)

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

you wouldn't like what I would do....tee hee

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Chuckle, some people are more cynical than I am!

I don't think I begrudge the people mentioned getting housing, but I d think that if there is too much of the criminal element housed in an area, you are in danger of creating a ghetto. Just as the current trend is creating a gentryfied ghetto. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

The worst thing that happened to the housing sector was the introduction of subsidised social housing...then worse selling it off for peanuts...kooncil tenants had no expection of house ownership so why should they have got discounts to buy? .... anyway if it was true social housing you should have got kicked out of it when your income went above a certain level.....social housing distorts the housing market if sold off ....Margaret Thatcher was only buying votes and only for a short time.....the only thing worse than a council tenant is one that has bought their house and still thinks they should get averything for nothing....I remember going to an x council house to try and get the owner to do something about a dangerouse part of the structure only to be told the council sold it to them like that so the council should repair it .....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Really? The alternative is to pay everyone such that they can buy or rent privately. Including those who don't work - for whatever reason.

Called buying votes.

Why not increase their rent to a commercially viable amount? Or do you just like the idea of chucking people out of the family home regardless? And a commercial rent would subsidise the building of new houses, as well as helping with the costs of subsidising others.

I take it you'd force all house owners to bring them up to 'your' standards too?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News