Subject Author Posted Replies

exploding LED !
Yesterday SWMBO turned on a light switch and there was a loud bang. Today I discovered that an electrolitic capacitor in a GU10 lamp had exploded forcing the front diffuser and the LED pcb out of the...
12
12

Bi-stable electric water valves
I've found these on Ebay and have an application that they would be better for than a straight on-off valve. But has anyone used them and can anyone make head-or-tail of this electrical specification?...
5
5

solid state 3ph converters
Do these inverters cancel out any reactive current requirement on the single phase feed? AJH
7
7

OT: cold turbine
Pretty funny picture here:
1
1

Lidl Drill on Thursday - Any good?
My (non-SDS) Bosch drill died last week, and I am looking for a replacement. I was initially going to spend something in the region of £100, but as I do less DIY at the moment, I thought that perhaps...
46
46

Searching for Light Fitting
Seen in shops and pubs: Square or rectangular frame - suspended on wires (ir in ceiling tiles) - gimbal mounted G10 spotlights. 2 or 4 to a frame Any ideas on suppliers?
4
4

Alpha Combi - HE CB25/33
My daughter has bought a house with one of these boilers. A few weeks ago it wouldn't light - and the Fault Light was indicating a failure to light. A neghbour had had the same fault and National Grid...
4
4

Desolder
I'm trying to desolder a number of joints on an electric toothbrush and not having much luck with braid. It seems to be wicking only a tiny amount of solder with each application. Ever in mind of...
29
29

Bit OT: MS Excel spreadsheet question
I have an MS EXCEL spreadsheet that I use to keep track of my domestic fuel use (gas + electric). For some time now, every time I open it I get a warning "File Error: data may have been lost", even...
4
4

Burglar alarm for garage
I'm looking for a fairly simple set-up for the garage alone. Three separate components: dual PIR/microwave motion sensor, siren, keypad with activation/deactivation code. Mains powered (don't want to...
19
19

[OT] Wordperfect and other older progs
Talking about old files and compatibility in another thread reminded me that I have a folder (directory!) of WP 5.1 files that I have never been able to access successfully, without WP. I know I have...
33
33

Repairing Brtickwork
I have removed three 1.5" waste pipes from a kitchen through wall to outside. I am wondering about patching up the external holes they have left: two of the holes were across two bricks of different...
5
5

Glazing a traditional four panel door
I would like to glaze the top half of a couple of traditional doors like this one. I'm guessing it's just a matter removing the beading and replacing the wood panel with suitable toughened glass. I...
8
8

Gas question
I have had a new kitchen fitted (not diy !!) The old oven was gas - the new oven is electric. There are now no gas appliance in the kitchen - the only supply was to the oven - which terminated in a...
13
13

Screwfix/Hitachi deal
FYI Just seen an advert on TV for an 18v Hitachi combi drill driver c/w 2 x 1.5 a/hr Li=Ion batteries for £79:99. Offer ends 2 May. I've had one for 6 months (paid £99:99 for it), it's a damn good...
3
3