Burglar alarm for garage

I'm looking for a fairly simple set-up for the garage alone. Three separate components: dual PIR/microwave motion sensor, siren, keypad with activation/deactivation code. Mains powered (don't want to be forever changing batteries). I assume wireless would make for simpler installation, but I guess if going for mains power, the additional wiring would already be in the cable. Yes/no?

Browsing the Internet seems to throw up kits that are either much too complex or too simple. Any suggestions? Either a complete kit or separate but compatible units that I connect up myself.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Don't really see why you'd need wireless in a garage. In a house, it's not having cables etc show which makes this more attractive.

I get my alarm bits from TLC - but not sure about a very simple one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My detached garage has an underground mains supply, which I am not going to dig up and duplicate, so a wireless camera feed is just perfect.

Reply to
Davey

This is the simplest wired:

Panel with integrated keypad, you'll also need a battery, a sensor - the Honeywell PIR ones are good, and a bell/sounder, and any wiring. The wireless kits at Screwfix for £100 may cost slightly more, but may be easier to install.

Reply to
A.Lee

My garage is made of reinforced conrete panels, Not easy to fix wiring,

Reply to
charles

I assumed the entire thing was being fitted in the garage. Be odd to fit it in the house. If the house already has an alarm, it could be extended to cover the garage.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not going to be easy to fit the sensors etc then either?

Perhaps you guys police such battery devices properly. I'd say you are in a minority. Only time I'll use a battery device is where there's no option.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Good point. Thanks.

Are there reasonably consistent industry standards across manufacturers? For example, if I get a motion sensor made by Mfr.A and a control panel by Mfr.B, is it likely they'll be compatible for wiring up?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

If it's made for the general market, yes. Although some of the terms used and wiring diagrams seem designed to confuse.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes.

May I suggest you have a look at an installation manual for say a Veitas 8 so you can see how easy it is to fit (it is very similar to most other manufacturers installation manuals).

I can email you a pdf if needed.

Cheers

Reply to
ARW

Do you remember the Ferguson Videostar that had a remote control on a wire?

Reply to
ARW

Hot glue and/or no more nails?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks. I take it you mean Veritas 8, by Texecom. At least, that's the manual I've found.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

SDS into the edge/top of the panels

It's nothing nore than a concrete gravel board.

Reply to
ARW

Yes - that's the one:-)

Have a read and you will see how easy they are to install.

Reply to
ARW

While we are on this subject.

I have a wired alarm in the house, a self-contained battery one in the shed and none in the garage. Some years ago it was easy and cheap to buy modules that connected to a wired alarm zone and connected to various wireless detectors, but they now seem to have pretty well disappeared. Such a module would allow me to easily connect both garage and shed to the house alarm, as I'd rather not have to install cables for this.

Does anyone know of any such modules that are easily available and fairly cheap these days?

Reply to
Steve Walker

Check the temperature range of your garage versus the temperature range of the alarm components (particulary the sensors). Most will not work on a garage which gets heated by the sun. PIR in particular will not detect anything when the garage gets warm, but any detector circuit (PIR or microwave) also becomes much more liable for false triggering when the components get hot, unless specifically designed for such use (e.g. in cars). Batteries will be liable to stop working in the cold, so replace annually in the autumn as a minimum, so they are newest through the cold winder period.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Useful advice; thanks. I really don't know how warm it gets in there, although it has a slated pitched roof and is shaded from early afternoon onwards, so probably not too bad. But I might go for a reed-relay sensor and magnet on the door rather than a PIR sensor. Wouldn't have battery operated stuff out there anyway.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

If it is a simple as one garage door to gain access to the garage (ie no windows and no pedestrian door) then I would suggest using two contacts on the door or maybe a tilt switch.

Reply to
ARW