Help identify alarm

My daughter has just bought a flat in Bristol, and has inherited a wireless burglar alarm system with no instructions. The previous owner is not in a position to help, and the selling agent denied there was an alarm fitted.

The system comprises a few wireless PIR detectors, a wireless external sounder, an internal sounder, the main box of tricks, and a keypad. It appears to include an autodialer. The only maker id I have found so far is a logo on the keypad with what might be "I Electronics", but googling the likely possibilities hasn't helped.

Does anyone recognise any of the components, please?

'm at a slight disadvantage being 135 miles away at present, but I'll be down there again later in the week (and again, and again...). I have temporarily disabled it by removing its mains fuse and disconnecting its main internal battery.

Reply to
Autolycus

Andrew Gabriel

I would try disconnecting the internal and external sounders, triggering an alarm, and seeing what the modem tries to dial.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

It looks like an old style BT Home Safe system, now called home-guard I think. Or an old DIY shed bought system. Try the B&Q or Homebase websites to see if they match anything.

Reply to
BigWallop

On the Keypad there is some writing in red (top left corner) but I cannot make out what it says is it possible to get a better picture or could you ask her what the letters/symbols are.

Reply to
BIG NIGE

You have DTMF decoder in your pocket then? If it's a DIY jobbie the chances are it'll be the previous owners mobile or neighbour... If it does call a central station it'll talk modem or DTMF not speech.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

snip

disconnecting its

I can't help with the identification, but if you removed both the mains supply and the backup battery, and the external siren didn't activate, then it is faulty.

You may well find that it is easier to replace the whole system, as the wireless systems are often quickly superceded, and replacement parts unavailable...

Hope this helps :-)

Reply to
Will

That's the bit that says "I (E or C or G?)lectronics" with the vaguely circulating electrons. It wasn't any clearer in the flesh.

Reply to
Autolycus

and there's the further complication that she's not decided whether to go for BT or cable, so the phone line's dead at present.

Reply to
Autolycus

That puzzled me - I haven't had any dealings with wireless systems - do external sounders rely on the user changing dry cells periodically? The keypad was flashing a "Lo Battery" warning - am I right in guessing that sensors and the sounder send these messages?

I guess you're probably right - but I _hate_ throwing things away when there's even a tiny chance of mending them.

Thanks for trying.

Reply to
Autolycus

Dial the BT number that allows you to change your "Friends and Family" numbers. Play it the DTMF tones and it will read the number back in English for confirmation.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Oh dear, sorry, wasn't thinking. I'd be plugging it into an old modem, which can do this.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

There are two principle types of external bellbox fitted to "wireless" alarm systems - firstly, where the bellbox is wired back to the alarm panel (only the sensors/keypad are wireless), and secondly where the bellbox is wireless too. In both cases the bellbox contains a rechargeable battery pack, in the former case charged by the alarm panel, and in the latter case charged by a small integral solar panel.

In either case, removing *all* power from the alarm panel should result in the bellbox siren sounding, unless the unit is faulty.

On most of the systems that I have seen installed, the sensors flag up a "flat battey", usually a month or so before the sensor is likely to fail to operate. In general, if "normal" alkaline batteries are utilised, they should be changed every year. I believe that the lithium type which are available can give service for upto five years.

Reply to
Will

The looks like a Electronics Line Summit system.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Well done that man!

(-- manuals --)

Reply to
PeterCB

Gentlemen: I award you the hand of my daughter, in gratitude for your genius.

Many thanks.

Reply to
Autolycus

Huh, what sounds the siren then - a backup, backup battery?

Reply to
usenet

Yes. Most bell boxes have a small NiCad inside them. When installed, you cut a link and enable the battery. It's kept charged by a 12V wire from the panel. The siren is 'held off' by that same power (AFAIR).

If the bad guy cuts the wire to the bell box, the siren ceases to be 'held off' and sounds, powered by the NiCad.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Some of the Wickes systems had normal zinc carbon batteries in the bell boxes and no method of charging them.

When the batteries went flat after a year or so you'd have to climb up a ladder to change them.

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x