House alarm beeping bell box fault?

Hi A neighbours alarm box on the front of their house beeps about every 10 seconds or so and keeps me awake at nights, Im going to call and ask if it can be turned off. What I want to know is if the beeps indicate a fault? I disconnected the power to a box once and that beeped as the battery discharged but not regularly like this one. Thanks in advance

Martin

Reply to
Martin W

This can happen on these solar powered systems, and is an indication that the battery isn't at full power in the bell box. The internal sounder bleeps when the control panel battery is faulty or weak. What type of system is it?

The only other situation where the external sounder will bleep on a regular timing, is when the system has been activated in alarm condition, and the sounder has been set up to warn of a non full reset by code after the timed cut off period. Is your neighbour at home?

Reply to
BigWallop

If it's one of the cheap wireless alarms that doesn't have a control panl (works with keyfobs) it might be beeping because it's receiving a low battery signal from one of the sensors (eg PIR or door contact).

Owain

Reply to
Owain

If it is a hard wired alarm system, it might also indicate that the bell module and / or support battery contained within the bell box are on the blink.

In a hard wired system, 12 volts are constantly fed to the bell box. The 12 volts charges a battery. The 12 volts also prevents the bell box module from providing power to the bell/sounder.

If the cable to the bell box is cut then the power from the battery is directed to the bell/sounder.

If the relay in the bell module and/or the battery are on the blink then you can have problems with the bell/sounder flicking on for just a moment and then flicking back off.

My parents used to have a hard wired alarm system.

4am one morning the battery / bell module went on the blink. Turning the alarm off made no difference.

We had to get a ladder, climb up, open the bell box and disconnect the bell.

Graham

Reply to
graham

That's why I have a little switch in the loft behind the bell box. Saves having to find the ladder at 4am.

Reply to
<me9

very good idea which i will do as soon as i get hold of a ladder

Reply to
mindwipe

Could also be a problem with the Tamper switch on the Siren or a fault on the cable to the siren or a fault with the control panel all of which can lead to insufficient voltage getting to the SAB unit. Also if the mains has failed to the control panel and the back-up battery in the panel is failing.

There are lots of possibilities that really could do with someone who knows what they are doing to correct.

The idea if the switch in the loft is interesting, it would obviously have to switch off the connection from the siren output to the sounder rather than the power to the siren from the panel. Unfortunately it would be against all British standards and COULD invalidate Insurance.

Reply to
BIG NIGE

If you don't post the right way up.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

THANKS FOR THE COMMENT ANDY

I am not quite sure what you mean by post the right way up. Something screwy is happened yesterday.

You obviously can see my post (Unfortunately i cannot).

And I another thread my reply has someone elses name ( but still with my fake e-mail) very strange.

I have just posted to a test group and all seems ok today !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
BIG NIGE

He means you are top posting, putting the answer before the question!! Convention on Usenet is to bottom post, then threads make sense. M$ broke it BTW with Outhouse express.

HTH

Dave

Reply to
dave stanton
[snippage]

^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^

First parsed as: Outhouse Excess

IIRC there is a fix for that issue which positions the cursor correctly when replying or composing a new post.

Reply to
Chipmunk

Yes Dave I am top posting, as a lot of others on the newsgroups seem to do.

I find it very annoying when working down a list of a thread to have to scroll to the bottom each time. Whereas if its at the top you can just click down the list to see each answer.

Reply to
BIG NIGE

Sorry, Nige: it's not 'the newsgroups'. Conventions vary from one to another. MS-specific ones, and in-house ones where Outlook Express is the Company Approved newsgroup reader, tend to adopt the top-posting hit-n-run approach (and leave a massive trail of previous postings handing off the end of each post). A few groups are don't-care.

'Probably most', and this one for absolute definite, adopt the 'classic Usenet' style. This is *not* indiscriminate 'bottom posting': rather, you're expected to put in the effort of snipping (that means deleting) everything you're *not* replying to, and leaving a short, relevant, but unedited fragment to supply the context immediately before, i.e. above, each bit you are replying to. That way, your post makes sense standalone

- important in the greater Usenet, where people receive articles in different orders, less so when all users share a single in-house server

- and the converstation reads like, um, a conversation.

No-one here cares whether you *like* the local convention or not. But you *will* be ignored and/or sworn at if you choose to ignore it in this group. Like walking into any pub, club, or country, you flout local convention at your peril.

HTH - Stefek

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

Reply to
BIG NIGE

Thanks for the comments Stefan

Ignore last post (I was trying to edit for this one and pressed wrong key)

Is this better (I can see that this method is clear and works well PROVIDED that the message is snipped as well)

I have been posting for years and never had a complaint about top posting.

I will try to get into this habit

I will also ignore Idiots that SWEAR because they have little command of the language.

Regards Nige

Reply to
BIG NIGE

Have you actually read the helpfile in the link below?

*plonk*
Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

I've been reading the newsgroups for 15 years.

In my experience, rightly or wrongly, those who top post are not taken seriously.

There are a lot of people who read newsgroup who have some interesting things to say who will killfile posters who top post.

Graham

Reply to
graham

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 07:04:37 GMT,it is alleged that "BIG NIGE" spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

Excellent idea:-) I have been following this thread but kept out of it because 'top posting' vs 'bottom posting' is one of the canonical examples of a Holy War on usenet:-)

For detailed information on this, Dan Tobias' page at

is excellent.

Certainly people who swear and abuse others to try to 'make their point' do nothing to advance that point.

Reply to
Chip

Interesting, as I don't use windows I did'nt know. Will look into it.

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
dave stanton