Subject Author Posted Replies

Bandsaw tyre failure issue
I have a Record Power SBS250 bandsaw ... I don't use it much, once maybe twice a year for around 30 minutes ... but every year (or so it seems) when I do want to use it - the rubber tyres on the...
19
19

What to do with mail when abroad?
An elderly friend is going abroad over Christmas for 5 weeks to visit family, and wants to know what to do about his letterbox, which wont hold 5 weeks of mail and would rather give the game away if...
21
21

Tools and equipment trials?
Slightly OT for DIY but maybe someone here will know. Does anyone know about standardized tests for tools that allow tools to be directly compared? E.g. is there a standard concrete formulation for...
3
3

TV radio and internet advertising......
Is it just me or were we able to tolerate a small amount of advertising in the past but now the quantity is unacceptible .....I personaly turn the tv and radio down when ads come on and use ad...
37
37

Ping TNP: Andrew Neil and Gridwatch
Andrew Neil quoting wind contribution data from Gridwatch on Twitter. Led to him quoting present cost of coal: 'Looks like we're paying £1,000/MWh for coal'. Others asking if he's sure. Says he's...
2
2

O T Begging charity adverts on TV
Is it just me, or are others fed up with the quantity of begging adverts on TV? If I resonded to all of the, I reckon it would cost me over 2K pounds a year. I do wonder how much it costs to make the...
66
66

FOAK: Minor roads maps online?
Fount of all knowledge request: Our local council has given notice of closing a local road for a week or so. Typically, instead of asking the local paper to notify readers that "the road from A to B...
23
23

British gas F2 50
Hi I have a British gas 50 F2 whichor I believe to be a potterton profile 50e. issues. Fan spinning. New air pressure switch but does not fire up. If I suck on the clear pipe it springs into life. It...
1
1

A simple, low-cost approach to electric water heating!
I can't help thinking this is the way to go in future: These 3rd worlders are simply *years* ahead of us in thinking out of the box. A troca de resistência do chuveiro e um procedimento simples mas...
6
6

That's the CH fixed then
Just had a call from a neighbour with no HW or CH. Potterton HE plus boiler. Took me 30 seconds to decide to hit the pump in the airing cupboard with a hammer. Job done
22
22

Van Alarms
A spate of thefts of tools from vans in the area - reported in the local news. I cynically suggested an alarm triggered by a PIR linked to a Pepper Spray. Seriously though - what is best practice?
2
2

Consumer unit replacement
Planning on replacing my mum's bakerlite fuseboard with a metal 17th editio n CU (to give her place ELCB protetion). Annoyingly some cables come throug h to the fuseboard from a hole in the wall...
2
2

Games console wiring
So part of the small extension I am working on has a space for two TVs for the kids and is for games console playing. The TV will be wall mounted and cables are to be hidden in the wall between the TV...
6
6

Adjusting electric oven thermostat
Not much information via search, but it seems as though there is usually an adjustment screw somewhere behind the temperature control button. Anyone adjusted an electric oven this way? How reliable...
8
8

Possibly OT computer replacement
I am considering replacing my desktop computer. what is the best way of transferring data from my old one to the new?
43
43