Peeling off backing tape

I'm taping over the gaps between kingspan with aluminium tape, I cut off 6 inches then spend an age scratching at the end with fingernails and tearing it a bit to separate off the backing tape... there must be an easier way... how? [george]

Reply to
DICEGEORGE

I have some here and just checked the way I do it, I start it off by stroking the top of the tape toward the rest of the length of tape using the pad of the thumb, this picks up and turns over the end of the aluminium tape a little allowing you to grab the backing and away you go. You can also get aluminium tape without backing, but it gets to be fun to use as it immediately ties itself in knots

Reply to
MrCheerful

Wipe the pad of a finger across a corner to bend the aluminium side back on itself, and the backing separates from it to spring back straight, whilst the aluminium remains bent back. You can then pull them apart from there (i.e. start by peeling the aluminium off the backing, rather than peeling the backing off the aluminium IYSWIM).

It helps if you have some fingernails.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I sometimes use a craft knife applied to the end of the paper side.

Reply to
newshound