100A DP isolator with double terminals?

Is there such a thing?

I am considering fitting an isolator between the meter and my consumer unit, to ease future work. However, I am likely to need a separate small unit to supply an EV charger in the future and there is limited space to fit it.

There is enough space to fit a small CU and Henley blocks to feed both CUs or enough space for a small CU and an isolator, but probably not space for all three, so I am looking if there are any 2-in, 4-out isolators, to remove the need for the Henley blocks.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I don't know, but have considered using a Wylex REC4 4-pole isolator, taking the supply into the middle 2 poles, and using pieces of busbar on the load terminals to make a double output.

Or use a small CU as the isolator, with MCBs for the submain and the EV charger. Modern CUs are pretty well shielded internally.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

I am not sure if you could get the busbar to fit in the REC4 box - never tried it.

But a 4 way CU with two MCBs is a brilliant idea.

Reply to
ARW

I had assumed that was the main point of the REC4: allows separate isolation of the main CU and a secondary CU, or a main CU and a grid tied solar inverter? What else do people use them for?

(or are both sides ganged together?)

I thought this thing was called a solar isolator, but searching for that comes up with the 32A rotary switches instead. Theo

Reply to
Theo

yes it's normally used between a 3ph meter and consumer unit.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Could you use a four pole three phase isolator to do what you want? Rotary ones can be padlocked off for safe working.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

It's very tight in there unfortunately and I'd have to link the poles into two pairs. It may be possible though.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I agree. Just wonder if you would code on an EICR a 63A MCB (the highest I've seen in single width) between an 80A/100A main fuse and a fully loaded CU?

Reply to
Robin

Eaton do 100A and 125A type C single width MCBs but they specify they're only for use in their 250A distribution boards ... somewhat chunkier than a 4-way CU.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Not just a mater of what Eaton specify. They are wider than a domestic MCB (27 mm vs 18 mm) so I doubted if one would squeeze into a 2 Way CU even if you could bodger round the difference in height.

Reply to
Robin

I do not see anything to code unless you are expecting the fully loaded CU to be taking well over 63A for a prolonged period.

Reply to
ARW