Toilet Leak?

All,

First let me say that this will likely be the last time I _ever_ attempt a household repair. But, my basement toilet stopped working--the fill valve appeared to be shot--it was probably 20 years old ( more in "fill valve years" ). Thinking it might be wise to replace all the valves in the toilet now, I headed to the Home Depot and got a complete repair quite ( so, it should all work well together ).

The long and the short of it is that the toilet leaks at the water supply flush valve tankpiece. The flush valve/tailpiece is attached quite firmly with the lock nut. The spud washer is pushed onto the tailpiece ( so it covers the hex portion of the lock nut--a problem??? ). The bolts securing the tank to the bowl are as tight I dare tighten them. But everytime I fill the tank, there is some leakage between the tank and bowl. I'm quite sure that the fill valve and bolts attaching the tank/bowl are not the problem. This effort seemed like a no brainer, but even after diassembling it twice, I just can't seem to get it right.

Perhaps the spud washer _should not_ cover any part of the lockwasher, but only the threaded part of the tailpiece? Any advice besides calling a plumber?

Email me directly if you wish.

koyaanisqatsi

XX X XX XX X X XX XX X XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXX XX XX XX XX XXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXX XX XX XX XX

  • "Where are we going, and why am I in this *
  • handbasket?" - Bumper Sticker *
koyaanisqatsi

It sounds like you're working on an old WC with a wall hung tank, though I'm not 100% sure based on your description. If that's what it is, you probably disturbed the flush elbow between the tank & bowl and now the spud gasket is leaking. You've got a tough repair job on your hands. The tank will have to be taken down off the wall, flush elbow may have to be replaced, depending on it's condition, and the spud gasket taken out of the back of the bowl & replaced, then remount the tank on the wall making sure the flush ell is aligned correctly or it will leak. There are special tools required to do the job properly.

It may be time to hire a pro....or just go back to Home Depot and get a new WC. But that presents a couple of possible problems as well. Most wall hung WC's were roughed for 14" bowls, rather than today's standard 12". Measure from the wall to the closet bolts to determine size. If it's 14" you can use a 12" WC but it will not fit snug to the wall, increasing the possibility of future tank/bowl leaks. A better job would be to use a 14" WC but you will probably not find one at Home Depot. Many plumbing supplies stock them but they are considerably more expensive than 12''s. You could opt to use the

12" and install a block of wood behind the tank to prevent movement...not very attractive but in your basement it might be OK.

I won't go into the can of worms you might open when you take up the old bowl....broken lead bend, rotten wood...

Oy! Just call a plumber. Good luck.

Reply to
TJE