Toilet leak

I replaced the 3 tank to toilet bolts and washers (properly) and also the gasket between the tank and the toilet bowl. But I still have one bolt that wants to leak.

It happens to be the same one that leaked before I replaced them. Is there a trick to seal this up beyond what I've done. The fact it's in the same area prompts me to think there might be a crack. But I don't see any..

TIA Charles

Reply to
Charles Pisano

Now I think it's the gasket between the tank and the bow that's not seating. Any fixes for this. The gasket is new and fits around the threads of the tank drain thing..

Reply to
Charles Pisano

Used some Si sealant?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The upper tank must be in firm contact with the lower bowl or else the upper tank can rock and cause a leak from the bolts. The problem arises with the gasket where the two meet. IT takes alot of pressure to compress it and you are always afraid you will crack something. I have no good hints other than to slowly tighten the tank bolts and maybe use a little silicon lube on the gasket until you achieve solid contact. SOmetimes a different size gasket is available. I have the same problem and do not know of any good fixes. I once had my kid sit on the tank and that still was not enough force to compress the gasket. I knew it was doable because I was reusing the gasket. My only conclusin is that toilet bolws are tougher than they look and can withstand the forces needed to seat the tank without cracking

Reply to
jmagerl

Tanks for the responses. I went to Home Depot instead on the 3rd go round and the guy there showed me a gasket with an extra lip on it. Worked like a charm..My 1982 toilet is good as new.

Of course I took the (other) lame as gasket back to bitch ass lowes and got my 2 bucks back-bought a frosty with it...

Reply to
Charles Pisano