Best Rated threads in Plumbing Forumshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Large, Hard Stool Clogs Toilet
Does anyone know of a product which could be poured into the toilet bowl to disolve or break apart large, hard stools prior to flushing? TIA.
13
13

Pressure Relief Valve dripping
I have a Watts 374A Water Pressure Relief Valve that is dripping a little less than an ounce a day. I already replace the expansion tank. (The PRV was spitting out quite a bit more before that.)...
1
1

dryer vent/water question
My dryer vent is in the slab, under my garage, and exits the house about 2" below grade after about a 30' run. I have installed a commercially available appratus that turns the pipe up, and has a...
5
5

Heat Tapes
lol poor guy didn't know about the dangerous combo of heat tape and trailers, I thought everybody did. It is very sad that this product has caused as much trouble as it has. There are new versions...
11
11

toilet bubbles when I do laundry
Help! When my washing machine(which is upstairs) is draining and spinning the water out, the toilet downstairs starts bubbling and gurgling, and some of the soap bubbles from the washer actually come...
7
7

Self Igniting vs. Non Self Igniting Torch
: I am looking for a new torch. I have narrowed it down, I think to Crossfire (owned by man who worked for and designed the original Turbotorch) and Turbotorch but am open to other suggestions. I...
13
13

Hot water Faucet still drips everything replaced twice
I guess it's just a matter of principle but I don't want to give up yet. I'm on month #3 of having replaced everything and once again a slow drip is developing. Someone came up with a few other...
19
19

PRICE PER FIXTURE
My dad was a plumber. I was introduced into this business at a very early age. I not only feel your pain....I live it. It's the same everywhere. I remember back in the 80's that we could not get...
18
18

Sump Pump Sucking air
I recently installed a battery backup sump pump. Now there are 2 pumps in the pit, the primary electric pump and the battery backup pump that only kicks in if there is a failure of the power or the...
2
2

Pipe dope on unions?
I am constantly arguing with my coworkers about putting pipe dope on unions and I was wondering what other plumbers are thinking or doing. Please help solve (or contribute) to this argument. My View:...
3
3

length markings on sewer snake? (2023 Update)
I have a General with a 3/4" cable and have tried paint to mark lengths, but it doesn't last. Is there a method of doing this maybe with fiber of some sort tied onto the inner cable? thanks Bill
11
11

Anything I can pour into water heater that will dissolve deposits?
Is there anything I can pour into a water heater that will dissolve mineral deposits and definitely not damage anything inside the tank? Hopefuly something that will work in a somewhat diluted...
26
26

Aquabrass Thermostatic Value Problem (2024 Update)
Hello, Approximately 6 months ago we renovated our bathroom and installed an AquaBrass thermostatic valve and hand shower. The product worked great until the last couple of weeks where something has...
5
5

How to identify hot & cold stub outs??
I had a plumber do some water line rough-in a few years ago. Now I want to connect a sink. Anyway - I'm having a hard time figuring out which is the hot and which is the cold. One has a square cap -...
3
3

Can't remove Faucet filter/cap !
Hi Friends ! I recently installed Brita water filter in my faucet in the Kitchen. I had to buy the faucet cap adapter and fix it in my faucet to install the brita water filter. Now after a month or...

hot water runs out upstairs - not downstairs
i have a 3 story little house with 2 bathrooms, one on the 2nd floor, one on the top floor. the hot water comes from a 40 gallon gas hot- water-heater in the basement. i cannot even get enough hot...
3
3

anti-seize compound on plumbing ?
Is it a good idea to put some kind of anti-seize compound when you install faucet valves etc. The idea is that years later you want to be able to easily unbolt, extract a valve stem etc without...
8
8

Replacing broken Jacuzzi toilet tank.
About a year ago, I installed a Jacuzzi toilet, BN30-BN31 (numbers from under the tank lid). This is one of the more modern looking toilets, with the tapering, slender tank. The tank has developed a...

Preheat water before electric water heater
The house I bought this summer has an electric water heater that accounts for half of my monthly electric bill. Now that the colder weather is here (at least in the north) I have been using the wood...
3
3

Lubricant for PVC
Is there a lubricant that is safe for PVC that I may have around the house? I want to be able to take apart PVC pipe joints easily and repeatedly. I don't want to glue them together... ever.
17
17