Meeting idea

x-no-archive:yes (does this work??)

Just thought I'd share this with you. Some of you have no doubt done this before, but if not, it's kind of neat. Full disclosure: I am no longer the Veep here (whew! five years......), so it wasn't my idea.

The president of our society bought two flats of Catt seedlings. We advertised this exercise as an opportunity to adopt a seedling for $5.00. She included a pot and media. We had several demo tables set up and lined with newspaper, and after people got their plants they came to a table to pot them up, some with help and some on their own. Each *midwife* got a birth certificate to go with the plant.

It was rowdy, messy, chaotic, and a lot of fun. The newest members got first pick, and there were enough for everyone who wanted to join in (most everyone did, and there were about 80 people at the meeting).

In September, we'll see how they're doing. Death certificates will be issued as necessary, LOL!

Good fun. Do this.

Diana

Reply to
Diana Kulaga

x-no-archives: yes

Does work in non-Kye newsgroups. Google Groups even don't archive them after 30 days.

I passed the idea along to our VP. Thanks!

K Barrett

We did this several years ago with a compot of Dendrobiums. Was good fun but unfortunately the group were far too dour to really get "into it" and actually enjoy themselves.

Reply to
BIO-Dex Consulting

Maybe they need a jigger or two of liquor as well...

Reply to
pakrat

One of my friend's society does something called "First Bloom Contest" that works similarly; each member who wants to participate pays the cost of the seedling plus another dollar or two. Then, whoever brings the plant to a meeting first, in flower, is awarded the extra $25 or so that was collected for the seedlings. I cannot get my society to work up much enthusiasm for this competition, but it sounds like fun. Anyway, it's never about the money! Cheers - Nancy (arctic south Louisiana)

Reply to
nancy

Denver does it as a first bloom contest. A couple of twists. $10 per try. $50 prize for first bloom, $25 for second.

You have to prove the bloom so your encouraged to photograph and email the pix to the pres or 1st VP. Because so many bloom close to each other this became necessary when people would call and say it was blooming and someone else would just claim "it opened on last Tuesday."

Each plant is put in a brown paper bag stapled shut so there is no added experience/knowledge edge for the old timers in picking plants. Thus the plants are all pre-potted by the supplier or the Pres's committee. It is the President's choice of plant breeding. But it is considered a necessity that it can grow on a windowsill.

Oh and NO tags are given out until the plant has bloomed. So it is either "A PIG in a Poke or a Delightful surprise" when it blooms and is identified.

SuE

Sue Erickson