Subject Author Posted Replies

Dishwasher not cleaning dishes on bottom shelf
When I put bowls, coffee mugs, glass jars, loaf pans, etc. on the bottom shelf of my dishwasher, facing down, they do not come completely clean. I ran a square freezer container through on the heavy...
18
18

Bridge Faucet
Have an old utility sink in basement with a bridge faucet with hot and cold water lines that feed in from the top. I'm guessing I'm screwed trying to find a replacement? (probably 50 yr old setup or...
6
6

Grass string trimmer innovation, use your own string?
Has anybody tried wire instead of string? Maybe insulated, maybe not? I would guess that store-bought string is the best material for the job, but you never know. Obviously cost is an issue, so they...
2
2

OT Maybe, maybe not HE detergent in an non-HE washer
Just replaced my less than 3 YO GE HE front loader with a new top loader, also GE. The old front loader was a disaster. We virtually washed everything twice, the 2nd time with no detergent in order to...
8
8

An observation and comment on provided screws.
For about one or two years now I have noticed that the metallic composition= of screws that come with a product are getting cheaper and cheaper. I am s= tripping the threads of almost every screw that...
2
2

Getting rid of cat smells
[snip] Holy crap, is that really a 14 year span for a response? This has gotta be a record. Jon
13
13

Acid for drain cleaning?
I am going to meet with a friend of mine in a couple of hours to see if I can help him with a clogged/slow drain issue. I haven't seen it yet, but so far, he seems to be saying that it is mostly a...
35
35

May be OT: Smart meter base fire
Offer this only for reading. http://ca.news.yahoo.com/fire-guts-home-smart-meter-installed-100624843.html
12
12

Central heating continuously runs
Most likely, two wires is how it was designed. Third wire could be anything, but probably a common. It's possible the thermostat isn't the problem. I'll copy in the alt hvac group, they field this...
39
39

Indoor backup generator
A friend of mine called, today. He would like to have a natural gas generator, for power cuts. Due to crime, he'd like the generator in the cellar. Said generator should run: Upright freezer Side by...
16
16

No inside access to ground floor in Outer Banks, NC vacation home?
So here I am vacationing on the Outer Banks, NC in a rental house. Don't hate me! ;-) Typical of most houses in the area, it is built up on 6 x 6 posts to protect the living area against flooding....
14
14

OT White lists and email
Here is a workable idea, if I could just convince Gmail to try it. When you sign up for an email address you can have the option of using a permission only email address. You always have the option of...
13
13

Things to do before leaving for vacation
Well, first pick a destination... Oops! Things to do to your HOME before leaving for vacation, from Popular Mechanics: I have a question: If I leave my Houston home in August, should I still put...
27
27

string trimmer carb adjustment tool
I have a sears string trimmer (25cc-17" Model# 358.791010 california model-= arrrrgh!) that seems to be running a bit lean and the mixture adjustment s= crews are of a splined type. Is there one kind...

What is the Exhaust control for on Air Conditioner?
It's an older Westinghouse window A.C. Besides the temperature control, HI - LOW - OFF and Automatic Fan controls, it has this lever that says Exhaust OPEN - CLOSED. With the front panel removed, I...
6
6