Subject Author Posted Replies

Mystery pipe?
Awl -- Ahm semi-re-plumbing the lines to the HW heater, and I noticed what appears to be some sort of vent/pressure relief ditty coming off the *CW inlet to the HWH*. From the CW pipe to this gadget...
72
72

Something is broken in our house
My wife told me that something is broken in our house. I wasn't paying attention because she talks all the time, but I do remember something is broken. Can any of you tell me how to fix it.
5
5

Why do Microwave ovens change direction?
Why do Microwave ovens that have a rotating platter, change direction? The platter seems to usually spin counter-clockwise. However, if I turn it off to stir or check the food, the platter begins to...
23
23

OT, National Hug Day
I'm sure the P.L.L.C.F. crowd will clamor for hug control. ^_^ National Hugging Day - Wikipedia
4
4

Maintaining a garage door opener
How should I clean and lubricate the chain and the sprockets on a 30-year-old Stanley garage door opener with a chain drive?
10
10

Boiler with no pump overrun
I have a 12year old potterton suprima . It has been a good faithful boiler until 3 years ago when the radiators just stopped getting hot (warm it could manage ) and 2 radiators bairly that . System...
7
7

When is heat system duct-work insulated, PA location.
A manufactured home has a compact oil fired forced air furnace in one corner oc a 40x28 manufactured home. A large central duct runs down the middle of an unfinished basement and perpendicular ducts...
14
14

What year is this freezer?
My Coldspot/Sears upright freezer is dying. I am trying to figure out how long we have had it. 30+ years is my wife's guess. Model is 106.628440. The original parts list does not have a date and we...
20
20

Ball valves vs. gas valves
Can a ball valve be used for nat gas? Would like to, cuz the orifice is MUCH larger than a gas valve. The HD guy said No, cuz "gas is corrosive". Heh, but it don't corrode black pipe.... Opinions?
15
15

modifying cafe door swing
I have an area where I want to put a cafe door. As most of you know, the standard hinges for those are pivot hinges...pins in the top and bottom of the hinge stile fit into holes in "L" shaped jamb...
3
3

Seems residential home pre-sale inspections cannot be run for the A/C side if the outside air temp is below 60F
Home pre-sale inspections cannot be run for the A/C side if the outside air temp is below 60F. New to me and I'm curious why this might be so? TIA
21
21

pressure washing concrete
I've had an outfit that has cleaned my driveway several times in 3 year intervals. They use this rotary thing that looks like a lawn mower when doing my driveway (about 5 car lengths). I notice that...
3
3

Bleeding hot water radiators - Conflicting instructions
Could not get an answer to this on alt . hvac of all places: There are many well-intentioned articles on how to bleed your basic hot wat= er radiator heating network.=20 Most recommend bleeding when...
13
13

Salvage Dawgs and Lead Paint
I've been watching Salvage Dawgs on the DIY Network. spent a lot of time repurposing old doors, windows and other woodwork. They do a lot of sanding of old paint and I have to assume that most of the...

Propane torch problems in winter
Why is it that whenever I use a propane torch in winter, it causes all kinds of problems. This never happens in warm weather. And of course the torches are needed more in winter, for thawing frozen...
13
13