Subject Author Posted Replies

How do you drill through stainless steel at home?
What's the trick to drilling a hole through 1/2" thick stainless steel? From my guardrail experience, I had bought titanium coated drill bits. So I thought it would be easy to drill a hole in a...
119
119

Re-roofing Cost?
I have 3 quotes for a tear-off and reshingle of my roof. The roof has one layer of existing shingles. The shingles are selling for $100 a square at Lowes. Roof is 40 square. Estimates work out to $270...
21
21

HF 20% coupon schedule. Probably.
Here's where the HF 20%-off coupon lives today: Evidently, HF posts a new coupon around one week after the previous coupon expires. You'll note the current coupon expires 3/31/13. The previous...
3
3

Crosscut Shredder Oiling
Just bought a new medium-duty crosscut paper shredder and the instructions advise oiling the cutters on each basket emptying using their "special crosscut shredder oil". They say it's vegetable...
16
16

How much power should electric blanket draw?
I have a Sunbeam twin size electric blanket that is several years old. I had the feeling it was not heating properly, so I decided to check the current it draws with a kill-a-watt, which says it is...
11
11

Very odd heating problem
We have lived here for about 5 years and the heat has always behaved the wa y it should other then an occasional frozen pipe on the second floor and a broken circulator. The house has FHW by Oil, 3...
11
11

Plumbing question?
I have to install a utility sink in my unheated garage (I don't think I have ever seen it below freezing) for my wife's new business... the floor of the garage is a foot lower than the first floor of...
13
13

New Water Heater equals Air in Lines?
Some Background: So... a little while back I replaced the electric water heater. We get a lot of minerals and sulfur gas in our well and it was finally too much for the bottom element. It was a...
47
47

water leaking refrig and future maintenance
Because I failed to clean the back end of the refrig regularly like I used to and it was leaking some water, I chose to get my repair guy to fix it. Prior I did try to thaw the freezer but that didn't...
4
4

Insurance qustion
Two weeks ago my little S10 pickup was struck, while parked, by a U-Haul truck. My pickup is 15 years old, but only has 98,000 miles on the clock (I don't get out much). U-Haul referred me to their...
65
65

Min circuit requirements for central vacuum motor in basement.
As the subject states, I'm re-doing a friends basement and need to relocate a central vac unit. It was connected to an outlet shared with the gas dryer. Are there any code requirements that require...
15
15

furnace filter
There is ine of the best site to furnace filter Im using it for furnace filter too so i tinnk this is the best web site to 'furnace filter' ( Its great and amazing tri it and enjoy the best This is...
4
4

What size wiring for Central A/C compressor?
I'm running new electric in a friends basement and so far uncovered a lot of bad wiring jobs, buried splice boxes, you name it. So now I noticed that the central A/C compressor is wired with 10 guage...
77
77

Armstrong SX 90 Fan won't come on
Hello All, Having a problem with our furnace. It will run and heat the house as long as I have the fan set to auto. If I don't have it set there the fan will n ot come on at all and no heat. Believe...
2
2

Stud Finder
Finally got around to testing the stud finder from the Place-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named*. Street price is $9.95. The instrument does an accurate job. It finds studs, which is what you'd expect a...
7
7