Fuel comparison charts

Perty inneresting.

Apropos of some recent diesel discussions, diesel fuel all by itself should give 13% more mpgs, just from the higher btu's per gallon alone. And, funnily enough, diesel appears to be about 13% more expensive at the pump!!?? Conspiratorial coincidence?? lol

It also becomes clear how gasahol shoves it in the motorist a little deeper, as well -- radically lower btu's per gallon.

Unbeknownst to most people, regular gas has more btu's/gal than high test -- by dint of the higher stability of the tertiary carbocation intermediate, in the combustion process.... no foolin. Texaco was successfully sued over this li'l factoid, in their false advertising of their premium fuels. Someone at Texaco didn't pay attention in Organic Chem I.

#6 fuel oil has markedly higher energy per gal:

The thing about #6 fuel oil is that it may need little to no fractionating at all, radically lowering its delivered cost. Yeah, the sulfur.... But mebbe by adding another mere 500 lbs to each vehicle, they could f*ck us for a de-sulfuization unit in each car.....

Some other useful charts:

Fwiw.

Reply to
Existential Angst

Interesting but misleading charts some of them. Intentionally so probably. Deliberate misinformation. Not very useful to the average home owner.

The most useful information of all is concealed.

Reply to
harryagain

Why misleading? You may use more fuel per kilometer/mile but (where I live at least) the ethanol added fuel is cheaper to purchase.

Reply to
Rodwell

Not only de-sulfurization, but the stuff has to be heated to be pumped. It has to be heated in the range of 250F degrees to flow and be atomized to burn. In industrial boilers, the boilers are started with #2 or natural gas, then some of the steam is diverted to a pre-heat tank with heat exchanger for the oil. If you shut your car down, it is not going to restart as the fuel injectors and lines will be like carrying molasses.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

As far as diesel vehicles go, I think at this point they have effectively removed every reason a person would buy one. You use to pay a boat load more for a diesel engine vehicle because the fuel mileage was considerably better than gasoline, they had plenty of power, and they lasted forever, not to mention that diesel was cheap. I have a 2010 "clean diesel" van which gets 17 MPG compared to 22 MPG on my "pre emissions" 2006 version of the same truck. This truck has a tank of urea, which gets injected into the exhaust system, as well as a catalytic converter, and a particulate filter, attached to a pile of chips and sensors and exposed wires all over the engine and exhaust system. Anything associated with the exhaust/emission system that malfunctions and allows pollutants out the tail pipe, invokes a check engine light and a dash board message," 20 starts rem ", which means you have to stop what you're doing and get it to the dealer now, which in my case the nearest dealer is in a hell hole called Yonkers (just kiddin) All the new "clean diesels" have a 100,000 mile warranty on the emissions systems, so at least these huge expenses don't come out of pocket, but I sure don't want to own this thing one minute after the warranty is up.

Reply to
RBM

Ultimately the bottom line, from an immediate wallet pov, is the dollars per mile req'd to operate a vehicle, or dollars per degree to heat a house.. Some of those factors are the cost to actually produce the fuel/bring it to market, and as was alluded to by RBM, the expense of utilizing it, such as complex diesels. Along these lines, Consumer Reports evaluates "the lowest cost to own over 5 years", of which fuel is just one component.

Paying big bucks up front for the privilege of burning a cheap fuel -- to wit, electricity -- most often yields a payback that's waaay too long -- ie, the Volt, Leaf over much less expensive traditional cars.

Recently discussed were the methane stores lying at the bottom of oceans,

3,000 years worth, they're saying. Dudn't really matter what the energy density of a fuel is, if you can pretty much just suck it up with a straw.

Hydrogen would appear to be the, uh, Bomb, since every kitchen with a solar cell on the window sill can produce it. Altho usefully packaging it would be a bit, uh, volatile.

Just fuel for thought.

Reply to
Existential Angst

Because people buy gas and think that gasoline with ethanol added performs just like gas without it. If you add water to ham, you have to state it on the label. Yet in this case, the govt does the opposite.

And then factor in that whatever the price of gas with ethanol is, it's AFTER huge subsidies to the ethanol producers. And the diversion of crops to ethanol has doubled the price of all grains. So, when you go buy a doughnut, loaf of bread, cereal or beef, you're paying for that ethanol again.

Reply to
trader4

Except the govt still standing in the way, refusing a couple of very small changes in the clean air standards that would allow a lot more versions of diesel cars. I don't remember the details, but diesels are actually slightly better with regard to some emissions and slightly worse with another. If the enviromnental nuts would just allow the small tradeoff, there would be even more diesel vehicles.

But they prefer to screw around with solar electric, ethanol, etc, which still aren't economically feasible,

You use to pay

Reply to
trader4

Around here (Ontario, Canada) diesel is usually less expensive than regular gasoline.

As of this minute, prices are:

Diesel: $1.10 CAD/Liter ($3.97 USD per-US Gallon) (0.80 Euros/liter) Gasoline: $1.19 CAD/Liter ($4.50 USD / Gallon) (0.87 Euros/liter)

This is 87-octane gas with probably 10% ethanol.

Premium gasoline (91 or 92 octane) cost is:

$1.32 CAD/liter ($4.77 USD/gallon) (0.96 Euros/liter)

Diesel cars should be BANNED.

Or, they should force people who drive diesel cars to have to smell the exhaust coming from their tail pipes. Feed back some of that exhaust through a small pipe into the passenger compartment.

Reply to
Home Guy

Just to set you straight on the prices, diesel had always been 10 cents cheaper than regular gas. When fuel prices surged up to around the $2.50 mark for the first time, people put up a big fuss over it. The prices dropped back down a little. Then went right back, up and over $3.00 a gallon. But the future markets brokers didn't want to lose their cash cow so they made diesel more expensive. Why? Because truckers get a tax break on the fuel. Unfortunately, that action ultimately practically killed off the nation's MUST have trucking industry to the point where only those that can afford the fuel, are still in business.

The next step, which probably won't happen for another decade or two, is to go to distilled alcohol fuel. Tests have shown that used cooking oil will run just fine in diesel engines with no conversions.

Reply to
richard

Diesel engines are over 50% of cars in the UK. Some diesel engines will run on used cooking oil but not all. The new technology ones won't.

The latest diesel engine cars over here have ceramic exhaust gas filters as well as catalysers. They rely on a high speed run to burn the carbon out of the filters every now and then. If you don't do this, the filter gets f***d and a new one costs a fortune.

And fuel is getting on for $11/gallon. Our gallons are a bit bigger than yours.

Reply to
harryagain

Hey Homo Gay, if Cannabis oil is added to the diesel, you can cure everyone of cancer and make traffic slow down because all the other drivers will be stoned. It would be a perfect world for you! ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

In the U.S. at least, diesels have been pretty clean to extremely clean since around 2006, maybe things are different on your planet.

Reply to
RBM

richard wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@40tude.net:

in the US this is incorrect. the trucking industry never got any tax breaks on diesel. off road doesn`t pay the road tax, but trucking is deff not off road.

most are now charging a fuel surcharge based on the price of fuel. what hurt the trucking industry is the economy slow down that killed the load demand, and the "dramatic" increase in DOT regulations and officers writting ticket for every little piss ant thing to raise revenue. Gee thanks for more "its not a tax" taxes, because it sure as heck is not about the safety. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

If Hydrogen could be easily and cheaply produced and stored at home from rain water, you would get a tax bill every time it rained.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

That's right. We pay for ethanol in many other ways. There is also a big tariff on imported ethanol mainly to keep out Brazilian ethanol which can be made cheaper there. The whole ethanol thing was a political sop to big agribusiness who greased the palms of politicians on both sides to get the ethanol mandates.

Reply to
Frank

I understand diesel price parity in EC is basically mandated by the government and the consumers are hosed by the government in extremely high fuel taxes. That's why the more efficient diesel engines are in such high usage. Normal market forces and lower taxes in the US give much less advantage. Diesel engines cost more and fuel costs more here.

Reply to
Frank

A guy at work has one. It has not cost him a penny for the emissions related repairs, but they keep his trucks for days at a time trying to figure out the problems. He finally traded it for a gas model.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The third problem I had with mine, was a faulty "diesel emission fluid" pump. The dealership mechanics were clueless and needed help from techs at Mercedes, which took five days. I'm afraid that they are just too complicated and no longer reliable.

Reply to
RBM

Same old deal. Every time something new comes out it is too complicated for the dealer mechanics to repair. I bought a new car in 1972. Same basic car as a 1969. The 69 ran fine for about 30,000 and someone ran a stop sign on me. I then bought a 72 and it had all the smog stuff on it. The never could fix the electronic system so it would start. That thing left me sitting about 5 times and I had to have it towed to the dealer. Ran the battery down several other times, but as it was a manual transmission, I was sble to push it off. Finally traded it with about 15000 miles on it.

The stuff usually works great unless there is a problem, then you beter trade it off as it probably will not be fixed or if it is, it may take a month.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery