Fuel comparison charts

"The Law Of unintended Results" It's what happens when Congress designs anything and imposes by law, impossible or insanely difficult to implement standards. The "Won't Flush Toilets" were one of plumbing fixtures designed by Congress. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

What a fantastic kid, I hope she doesn't burn out at a young age and goes on to develop more brilliant solutions to problems facing the World. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

No it's not - iz made from Lieberuls. They just look like Peoples.

pyotr filipivich

I do remember seat belts were mandated in car construction maybe in 1964 or so. I wonder what U.S. vehicles would look like if designers and consumers didn't have government regulations to contend with.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I wonder what U.S. vehicles would look like if designers and consumers didn't have government regulations to contend with.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The vehicles built in the 50s and 60s were deathtraps compared to today's cars. You are much more likely to survive or have fewer injuries in a crash with a modern car compared to one from 50 years ago, all other things being equal.

I don't really care much for the IIHS or the nanny regulations our country has adopted, but you can't argue with performance.

Larry W

...which I've never needed. If you buy a new car every couple of years you have a point, but I don't. When I get rid of a car it's all used up.

Reply to
The Real Bev

As they should.

Crash worthiness is independent and not a function of vehicle mass.

Yes by all means, let's return to the technology of a half century ago.

Reply to
.

You can go, but I'm staying here. I love my XM radio, rearview camera, power everything, heated seats, no exhaust fumes, no tune up every

10,000 miles, tires that last for 50,000 miles, remote starter, and on and on.

It would be fun once in a while to cruise around in one of my old cars from the past, but not for my everyday driver.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Why? What's wrong with people choosing a vehicle that gets ten or forty miles per gallon?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Ethanol might've been an energy sink at one time but that's apparently no longer true:

Dean Hoffman

To increase the tax revenue from cars that can't meet higher standards. I would prefer taxing people for having children instead, but that's not the issue.

Nothing. No one is forced to buy a brand new car each year in the US.

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

I'd put about as much faith in this study as any other Obama sycophantic government agency study.

Reply to
Frank

There is no fuel shortage. Prices are roughly the same as they were in

1980, allowing for general inflation. Washington has almost nothing to do with fuel costs.

We have plenty of grains and starch to eat. Those are not issues.

All in all, Chris, that's a lot of mush inside your head, for one person. Where do you get all that stuff?

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Conventional wisdom here in farm country is that the feed value of corn is unaffected by ethanol production. The left over distillers grains have as much feed value as the kernel corn.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

So, basically you want a tax system based on punishment for things you don/t like.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Take the fine hand of the government mandating that so much ethanol must be used in fuel each year and consider that crop yields can vary considerably from season to season. In years of poor yield, this takes away from the food market as ethanol is mandated and price of food goes way up. Been happening.

Reply to
Frank

Theory and principle aside, out here in the real world those are the all and only taxes we suffer. Down here at the bottom of the pile, I'm always someone's enemy and therefore punished accordingly.

Reply to
AMuzi

As much of the crop goes into booze as into cereal:

There are more charts like this floating around the web if you're interested.
The raw material cost of the food is overshadowed by the retailing costs much of the time.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Washington holds back drilling - supply and demand. Washington taxes layer upon layer onto the fuel as a tax source.

The additives MTBE (trash junk that pollutes ground water) and now grain alcohol that robs the national store, world food bank, and home base food for all. Feed prices are up and fuel is also.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn