Fuel comparison charts

He did say with modern safety features. I'd love a "57 Chevy with all the new bells and whistles or a GTO, Impala SS. etc At least Chrysler/Dodge are smart enough to bring the Challenger and Charger back

Reply to
ChairMan

No, Washington isn't holding back drilling. They've let out hundreds of drilling leases that the oil companies aren't using. Prices have come down, not up. There is more supply than demand.

No, there is one federal tax on gasoline: 18.4 cents/gallon, where it's been since 1993. With inflation, its value keeps going down.

Corn ethanol has had some influence on grain prices. Otherwise, every one of your assertions here is a myth, Martin.

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I think your sarcasm detector is malfunctioning.

Reply to
.

Really!? You haven't so much as the first inkling of any clue?

One can obtain any number of vehicles, from classic muscle cars, to any of the below, or a build your own, which would, at best, get 10 mpg in city driving: Lamborghini Murcilago, Bugatti Veyron, Bentley Azure, Bentley Brooklands, Bentley Continental, Ferrari 612 Scaglietti, Maybach Type 57 ...

Reply to
.

Are any more clues than religious or Mormon necessary?

"Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a cozy little classification in the DSM." - David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Reply to
.

During an expose years ago on "60 Minutes", the question "which is the more toxic, MTBE or the gasoline itself?" was posed. The definitive reply stated conclusively that it was actually the latter, rendering the entire alarmist groundwater contamination issue by MTBE effectively moot.

Reply to
.

I don't know much about the Mormons. From what little I've seen, they tend to be pretty well educated, in general. I'm sure there are exceptions.

It looks more like paleo-conservative cynicism to me. Things have to be going wrong, and it has to be somebody else's fault -- especially if there are any non-conservatives in power. We're on the road to perdition and no amount of evidence to the contrary will be considered.

It turns their minds into oatmeal and they're incapable of examining evidence in an objective way.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I wondered about that. I mean, how much more toxic can it be than gasoline?

I remember the discussion about the show you mention, but I never saw it. Interesting.

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

MTBE mixes with water. Gasoline doesn't. It also does not bind as well to soil as gasoline molecules. That means it travels quickly with rain water into aquifers. The EPA for years said it was safe until it started showing up in water supplies wherever it was used.

Reply to
jim

So what's the bottom line on MTBE as it's understood today?

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Like many things that our economy rides on - necessary evil...

Reply to
Richard

Don't think it is the toxicity but rather the persistence. In otherwords, it doesn't break down as quickly so it can be less nasty but for a longer period of time.

From the EPA website. Because MTBE dissolves easily in water and does not "cling" to soil very well, it migrates faster and farther in the ground than other gasoline components, thus making it more likely to contaminate public water systems and private drinking water wells. MTBE does not degrade (breakdown) easily and is difficult and costly to remove from ground water. How long will MTBE remain in water? MTBE is generally more resistant to natural biodegradation than other gasoline components. Some monitoring wells have shown little overall reduction in MTBE concentration over several years which suggests that MTBE is relatively persistent in ground water. In contrast, studies of surface water (lakes and reservoirs have shown that MTBE volatilizes (evaporates) relatively quickly.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Aha. Very interesting. Thanks, Kurt.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Unlike the petroleum distillates it is in solution with, MTBE is easily removed by, to name but one, common activated charcoal filtration systems. The scare tactic was nothing more than a smoke screen generated by the petroleum refiners and distributors in a cynical attempt to misdirect the populace (by blaming a government mandated additive) and conceal the actual problem, leaking fuel storage tanks.

Reply to
.

As far as I know it was banned in a many states. That is when the EPA and oil cos gave up promoting it and switched to ethanol.

Reply to
jim

So we should believe someone who has no name, nym or valid email address?

Right. Oh f*ck yes.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

You shouldn't believe ANYONE based on their name or email address, you mouth-breathing knuckle-dragging moron.

Reply to
.

We obviously pay a lot of attention to your nym....(not)...

Laugh laugh laugh!!

Begone troll!!

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Leases don't mean drilling. Billions of dollars were spent on the large state size leases offshore of California. Then after paying the government for the leases, the loonies pleaded and got a drilling halt and forbade wells out in the water.

Large tracks are held at bay in the gulf. Some were active but shut down after the spill. The area near Miami was rich in oil, but it was held back because of ugly rigs in the skyline. Then Cuba / China moved in and their rig can be seen from Miami.

MTBE dropped miles / gallon. It polluted ground water. And there is a huge bubble of it at the bottom of Lake Tahoe.

Ethanol is hygroscopic and when a tank is a breather and not sealed, it pulls in cool damp air at night, and condenses into the tank. This is a common failure mode of gas now. Special ethanol additives have been developed to trap the water and allow it to be burned. Typically it sits and freezes - cracking small motor parts. I try to run all of them wide open to use up the gas before letting them sit.

And taxes are more than Federal. Tax on the whole product string. And having the Gasoline and Crude oil different commodity and have been the souce of the 'excessive gain tax' - where the oil companies buy crude and sell the results of their work at a much higher value due to the demand price on gas and anti-demand on Crude.

So taxes are from many levels and many methods.

And I live in cattle, gas/oil/timber/farming area of Texas - and the large feed mills have had prices rise (brother worked at a large mill) and the chicken / turkey feed is up as well as dairy cattle feed / horse and pig feed. Any product that used grain - higher gas / fuel cost - rises the cost of feed. Supply and demand is another. Taking feed corn to be turned into this poor example of fuel is shameful. It was easy.

Brazil has special engines. They did it correctly. Indy cars did it also.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

It was exposed that MTBE was made in Canada and a certain small investor group - turned out to be advisory panel that voted for MTBE.

MTBE has been banned as soon as anything else was useful in the place.

California dumped it. Other states took longer but understood and got rid it it also.

Mart> >> >>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn