Subject Author Posted Replies

Anyone familiar with code for Glenville, NY (Schenectady County)?
Is it allowed to install a gas furnace in a closet such that there is no return installed? The door is louvered, so the furnace sucks the air from inside the closet that comes through the vents in the...
6
6

Sinkhole Near Deep Well Pump
A sinkhole, now about 2 feet deep and approx. 4 feet wide by 5 feet long, has formed within 5 feet from my deep well equipped with a submersible pump over 100 feet down. My water supply has not been...
4
4

Weird GFCI wiring
I have power coming into a GFCI outlet in my bathroom. Power then goes to the bathroom switch which controls the bathroom light and a switch in the hallway which controls the hallway lights....
4
4

repairing the stucco foam board
murphy ------------------------------------- The front of my house is stucco. The decorative 2x4 foam board around the collumns on the front entrance have gotten damp and separated. Is there a way to...

Amana icemaker
This is a bottom freezer fridge that is 10 years old. The icemaker is not making ice although there is fresh ice in the tray. There is a creaking sound from the icemaker as if it is trying to run. It...
5
5

Pressure washing wood deck? BAD IDEA? pressure treated.
I head conflicting advise on maintaining my deck. Some say you damage the deck by pressure washing it. Does pressure washing it remove the pressure treated chemical out of the wood? Also, If you do...
3
3

Microwave Repair - Door Switch
I have determined that the door switch on our GE Electric Profile JET342H microwave oven is failing. The failure is evidenced by the microwave starting and stopping if you jiggle the latch button ever...
2
2

Replacing a temperature-only shower valve with a flow-controllable one
Someone in the family just moved into a new home. The showers in the house have a type of control valve that allows you to adjust the temperature but not the flow. Is it easy to replace the valves...
6
6

1-1/4 in. drain plubming question...
I'm installing a 4-ft. kitchenette with sink and, due to space constraints, I am considering running 1-1/4" abs as opposed to 1-1/2" (the lines will tie into 1-1/2" about 8' downstream). What problems...
6
6

Roof - snow removal
I have a two-story home with a metal roof. I bought the home three years ago. Every year ice builds up on the roof ans slowly slides off. Last year it became 6 inches thick and when it finally let go...
5
5

Generator Livin'
I'm at day 7 in Cincinnati off the grid - which is nothing to cry about considering the carnage in Texas! I have a 30 year old 3500 watt generator from Sears. So far, it's working fine. But I've been...
39
39

New roof time
It is getting near time for a new roof. I have a medium blown color shingle now. I think I will go with a lighter shade to lower the heat load a bit. Does the color have much of an effect on shingle...
8
8

protecting white cedar shingles
I have white cedar shingles on my house. 10 years ago when we put them up, we treated them with a stain/bleach mixture, and they have weathered to a fairly uniform gray color (not quite Cape Cod, but...
1
1

Dryer repair q
I have a 20-year-old gas dryer that stopped rotating its drum, so I opened it up to have a look. I found that the belt had apparently stretched, as it had no traction. I bought a new one and found...
13
13

Looking for triple-gang duplex wall plate (ivory)
I can find 3 switches, or 3 Decoras, or 2 duplexes and a switch, and all kinds of other combos but not 3 duplexes. (Actually I need a Decora in the middle, but I can cut the center section to make it...
6
6