exterior door leaking

I have an exterior door on my shop that is leaking. I think it was hung poorly and maybe the bottom seal is not working.

Any tips on hanging/sealing doors?

Reply to
Kevin

Leaking what?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 wrote in news:7ef89817-4caf-4898-a70f- snipped-for-privacy@s1g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

Yea, could be mail hub for dogs I guess :-)

Reply to
Red Green

Could be!

Reply to
Oren

Most doors now days are foam filled, with some wood around the edge. What is leaking out of your door? You should take your door back and get another one.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I think he's got door fluid running out of the door.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Appears to be water. And is tightly correlated to when it's raining (outside in case you were wondering).

Reply to
Kevin

Speculation mode on...

The problem isn't necessarily the door.

While you may indeed have a problem with the door - can't tell from here - I'm wondering why water is running towards the door and not away.

Submarine doors are made to be waterproof, shop doors typically aren't. I'll hazard a guess and say you should fix the grading problem before worrying about the door.

I had a "leaking door" in my basement when I first moved in, but as soon as I stopped the water from building up outside the door, it never leaked again.

Dug a pit, drilled holes in the top and bottom of a plastic 55 gallon drum, dropped it in the hole, backfilled and covered the pit with a 4' x 4' "deck". It would now take at least 55 gallons of water before it could even begin to backup outside the door. 2 leaks in the first year (before the fix) - zero in the last 23.

I still don't understand how the previous owners dealt with it for 30 years.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I don't believe water pools outside the door enough to spill over.

I believe the rain is hitting the door or elsewhere and then getting in.

[...]

...Snip ...

re: I believe the rain is hitting the door or elsewhere and then getting in

You *believe* or you *know*?

At this point it sounds like you have a symptom - water leaking under the door - but you don't really know the cause.

May I suggest that you grab a friend and a garden hose and make some pretend rain? With the friend (or you) and the hose outside, and you (or the friend) inside, you might be able to determine the root cause of your problem.

In your OP you said "I think it was hung poorly and maybe the bottom seal is not working." IMHO, until you actually know where, but more importantly *why*, the water is coming in, you won't know what needs to be fixed. It could be a simple as adding a piece of drip edge or awning above the door to redirect the water or it could indeed be a poorly hung door. Maybe the door was not meant to seal out water and should have a storm door added to isoloate it from the rain.

You also asked "Any tips on hanging/sealing doors?"

There are so many different types of doors, I don't think anyone could answer that question without a lot more details. It could be anything from a storm door to a wooden door to a steel door to a sliding door, etc. etc. Any tips for hanging/sealing *your* door would depend on a lot of specific factors.

In any case, you really do need to know why the water is coming in before you can begin to solve the problem.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z6g2000pre.googlegroups.com:

Best suggestion from DD. Find out where it's coming in then figure out why it's coming in there. Then you can begin to figure out a solution.

Reply to
Red Green