Subject Author Posted Replies

Want to put faux rock on retaining wall
I have a retaining wall outside that I've been modifying lately, it's about 50' long and 3' high. Currently it's constructed out of just old pressure treated 2x12. I would like to build a faux rock...
9
9

Why Insulation in Inside Wall?
I'm about to hang one of the LED big screen TVs on my wall. To tidy it up I decided to run the cables through the wall. When I cut a hole in the wall I discovered it was filled with insulation. It's...
45
45

Low CFM ventillation fan
I'm looking for a decent quality inline fan that will move air through a 4" pipe, 30 feet long, but at a low CFM rate, perhaps 10 cfm. All of the bath fans I've seen are 50 cfm or more or the variable...
7
7

Outside fluorescent light
I had a very good handyman replace the two bulbs in my outside electric eye fixture. The bulbs work, but they do not "obey" the sensor. Handyman covered the eye properly to test, but the bulbs did not...
7
7

Insulation Measurment - Funny Math
I need to insulate 900 sqft of space. When I look at R-30 batts from home depot they are marked 53.3 sqft. The actual measurment is 10"x16"x48". Unless my math has failed me the measurment for sqft is...
3
3

Older metal windows won't close
Hello All: Windows at my nephew's home won't close unless one pushes it with substantial force from outside. I looked into it a bit. I first thought it was paint buildup, but ruled this out after...
14
14

winterizing my cottage's well...
I have owned a seasonal cottage in WNY for 10 years. The plumber who used to winterize it for the previous owner showed me what to to, and I have been doing it since. In addition to the obvious, there...
1
1

4-wire feeder line vs. 3-wire feeder line
I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer to. The task is adding a new sub-panel in an outbuilding. I understand that new sub-panels now require a 4-wire feeder line, however this feeder...
9
9

Chimney caps?
Does one need a chimney cap or not? Does the rain bother the chimney or affect the soot? If there is an inch of rain that means there is an inch or rain in the chimney, where did it go? When I run the...
11
11

Quality of garage floor epoxies
Does anyone have any experience (other than flat out guessing based on advertising!) if the supposedly "high end" garage epoxies would be much better than the 2-part epoxies such as Rustoleum...
5
5

Basic advice for an oven bake element house fire (GE JBP24B0B4WH)
The top element of my 6-year-old General Electric GE JBP24B0B4WH oven went on electrical fire and the top bake element broke open when the fire department put it out. Pictures at need advice since...
84
84

Floor "Leveler," or not
I pulled up the carpet in my bedroom to find that the previous residents put the carpet down on top of plywood. I want to put some vinyl down over the plywood, but need to fill in the cracks between...
7
7

Reminder- Fireplaces etc
Those of you who have them and use them, you know the drill! For those new homeowners who may not be sure, now is when to have the fireplace (or stove pipe etc) cleaned. It's cheaper to have it done...

Repairing BB Hole in Window
I have a double-pane window, downstairs on one end of the family room. It's not very visible, being under the rear deck. Someone recently shot a small hole, probably with a BB gun, which penetrated...
62
62

window cleaner
Looks like comcast is going to cut the newsgroup feed,so I thought I would pick your brains one last time. I don't like windex so I would like some input as to making home brew glass cleaner. With...
15
15