Removing mirrors glued to drywall - possible without smashing?

My spouse is replacing Formica countertops with granite on four vanities. Each has a mirror that was set onto the Formica top, glue applied to the back, then pushed to the wall. The new tops will be thicker and the mirrors must come off or cut shorter from the bottom. Two glass companies told me the only way to handle this is to smash the mirrors and pull the pieces off, and ruin the drywall in the process. Are there any other options? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Jim Sherman

None that I know of. Glued on mirrors are a royal pain. Suggest you consider trimming the vanity bases down to make the adjustment which will keep the countertop surface at the current height.

Reply to
Pete C.

I use to work for a builder and we had to remove two mirrors that were chipped. .Our mirror guy and I pumped up two large suction cups that they use and with steady pulling we got one off. On the other one we cut the dry wall around it and pull mirror ard dry wall both ,a little dry wall repair but we saved the mirrors.

Jr

Reply to
Jerry - OHIO

I built frames and sold both of them to the plumber for $60.00. Free oak free mirrors , I miss that job But I love retirment. Jr

Jerry - OHIO

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Jerry - OHIO) wrote in news:18890-492E3953-2040 @storefull-3131.bay.webtv.net:

Just curious. You cut the drywall around it but how did you pull it off the wall? The drywall behind the mirror must have been screwed/nailed to the studs.

Reply to
Red Green

I just started a bathroom remodel in my 50 year old house. The mirror was glued to plaster walls. I approached the job expecting to totally trash the mirror and wall. So I was really surprised when I just put my putty knife behind one corner and pried. I heard a "pop" and the entire mirror fell off the wall in one piece. I sure wasnt expecting it to do that! Fortunately I caught it before it smashed itself.

It had been glued onto the wall with 50 year old, dried out, hard as rock, black adhesive that smelled a bit like rubber when I used a blow torch to soften and scrape it off the wall.

My point? Sometimes the remodeling gods do smile down upon you.

Reply to
dicko

dicko wrote in news:QgzXk.8137$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi065.nbdc.sbc.com:

Lucky day. Spend a buck on a lottery ticket :-)

Reply to
Red Green

Those 2 glass companies must have a bunch of morons working there.

The mirrors can be removed and saved with piano wire and 2 pairs of vice grips.

Cut a piece of piano wire about 3 ft wider than the mirror, then slip the wire between the mirror and the drywall (preferably from top edge of the mirror). Now, clap the vise grips onto the ends of the piano wire. Have someone help you work the piano wire back and forth in a sawing motion, at the same time pulling downward. (if you start from the top)

This will cut through the mirror mastic and allow you to remove the mirror. Depending on the situation, you might need another person to help hold the mirror so it doesn't hit the floor.

I recommend using Equalizer brand braided piano wire that can you can get at most autoglass shops.

If you talk directly to an autogalss installer they will probably just give you about a 20 ft piece - just slide the guy 2 or 3 bucks. Do NOT use regular piano wire, it gets hot and you have to stop every 2 seconds to let it cool or it will break in half.. A REAL pain in the ass!

BTW, I've removed MANY mirrors using professional suction cups only, because the drywall paper will come off with the mastic before the mirror will break. Sounds like they were just trying to sell you some new mirrors and didn't want just a labor job or like I said, they are morons.

Reply to
Ron

Reply to
starrin