T-stat repair

White-Rodgers 1F90-51/-60 thermostat from 1985.

Mea Culpa: I left 3 Duracell AA batteries in the unit for years and years. Corroded the little spade connectors so bad that 2 broke off.

I jerry-rigged something that got it going again, but it's so flimsy that it could fail anytime. And it's cold, Cold, COLD nowadays (midwest US).

It looks like a common design. Copper spade connectors that mount in a groove in the plastic on one end, extend to allow contact with the battery poles on the other.

Any suggestions on how to do a substantial repair? It's a good old (4 wire) control and I got nooooooo idea what t-stats they got on the market currently or how they might wire.

Thx, P

"Take Yo' Hand Out My Pocket (I Ain't Got Nothing What Belongs To You)!" - Rice Miller, who probably never even _heard_ of GW Bush, Paulson, etc

Reply to
Puddin' Man

It's don't know of any practical way to make a reliable repair on anything like that which I would trust. Also, we can't even see the thing.

New ones that offer the same or better features and are srop in replacements that wire in the same way are relatively inexpensive. And for a little more, you can get ones with more features.

Reply to
trader4

I have to repeat what Tread wrote:

"New ones that offer the same or better features and are srop in replacements that wire in the same way are relatively inexpensive. And for a little more, you can get ones with more features."

Don't bother trying to fix an inexpensive item that was never designed as a throw-a-way.

Reply to
jmeehan

Its near 24 years old, geeze, dont you think it might be time. Hows your heating system, maybe 70% efficent

Reply to
ransley

Jeeez! I musta posted to the wrong forum.

Is this here forum "alt.home.repair"? As in R-E-P-A-I-R???

Mostly, y'all just show that ya don't know the t-stat.

I bought top-of-line Honeywell in '84. It went totally bonkers and kissed the trash can in 3 years or less.

I then bought the White-Rodgers 1F90-51. Digital, programmable, entirely adequate, and very reliable. There's a zillion of them around here yet: in friends houses, restaurants, etc.

Y'all can pitch, buy-new all ya want. 'Tis my intent to repair! :-)

"Take Yo' Hand Out My Pocket (I Ain't Got Nothing What Belongs To You)!" - Rice Miller, who probably never even _heard_ of GW Bush, Paulson, etc

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Thanks. They may have something, I dunno the help can find anything, tho. I'll likely find out if I don't get lucky ...

Then it's likely an alloy of copper.

I got some old sheet brass might work, but I read it's only 28% of the conductivity of copper.

"Take Yo' Hand Out My Pocket (I Ain't Got Nothing What Belongs To You)!" - Rice Miller, who probably never even _heard_ of GW Bush, Paulson, etc

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Can you hit Rat Shack (if they still sell useful stuff in your area) and see if they sell little project battery boxes? that might yield something usable/modifiable for your purposes... Alternately, see if your local Big Box sells copper in sheets? I'd go with plan A though if you can because battery connections typically seem to be a little stiffer and springier than dead soft pure copper.

nate

Pudd> Jeeez! I musta posted to the wrong forum.

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Pull the stat off the wall. Punch a hole behind it large enough to take a 4 -AA battery holder. Solder the leads to the correct points on the circuit board, drop the battery case into the wall and screw the stat back on.

Reply to
clare

Interesting idea.

I'll size it up next time I pull the tstat.

Thx, P

"Take Yo' Hand Out My Pocket (I Ain't Got Nothing What Belongs To You)!" - Rice Miller, who probably never even _heard_ of GW Bush, Paulson, etc

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Stupid is as stupid does i suppose.

I am the real ftwhd and I approve this message.

Reply to
ftwhd