'Lectric Blanky :-)

3-yr-old Sunbeam ($30) electric blanket. 120v runs to control with 'on' and 'off' buttons and a dial on top for temp (1-10).

What I'd like to do is put it on a timer for temp setting #4.

Is impossible to do?

Thx, Peetie

"Take Yo' Hand Out My Pocket (I Ain't Got Nothing What Belongs To You)!" - Rice Miller, who probably never even _heard_ of GW Bush, Paulson, etc

Reply to
Puddin' Man

ush, Paulson, etc

plug blanket in seperate timer, leave blanket set to 4

Reply to
hallerb

The electronic controllers used on newer blankets tend to stay off if power is removed.

Reply to
Robert Neville

You mean splice wire, put timer between blanket and control. Right?

Oooops. The important detail I irresponsibly omitted was that the control automatically shuts down after 11 hours. I would have to push the "on" button every 11 hours to keep the control powered.

Apologies for the silly omission.

"Take Yo' Hand Out My Pocket (I Ain't Got Nothing What Belongs To You)!" - Rice Miller, who probably never even _heard_ of GW Bush, Paulson, etc

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Easy to figure out,guy. If the on and off buttons "rock" -iow, one goes in, the other comes out, and there are no digital contrls, it will likely work - but it is DEAD EASY to verify.

Plug it in. Turn it on. Pull the plug. Plug it back in 10 minutes later (15 seconds would likely do).

Did the blanket come back on? If so, just get an intermatic plug-in timer and go for it.

Reply to
clare

I thought the post firmly implied that the switch was non-mechanical.

Yes, turn it on, unplug, replug, and the display registers power, then it goes dead until the "on" button is again pressed.

"Take Yo' Hand Out My Pocket (I Ain't Got Nothing What Belongs To You)!" - Rice Miller, who probably never even _heard_ of GW Bush, Paulson, etc

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Then you need a more sophisticated system.

For laughs, connect the "blankie" to a Variac and see how little voltage is reqired to keep the control "on" If the standby voltage is low enough a case could be made for a switching mechanism that reduced the power to the mi nimum required "hold in" and fired it up to full voltage at the appointed time.

Either that or find an older sunbeam blanket control - they should be a dime a dozen - and see if the blanket end plug fits.

Reply to
clare